Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM legend or not...
Quote | Reply
After watching this years IM Hawaii, I must admit that I was impressed with Sadowski. Then when the guy popped up out of nowhere on slowtwitch, I was surprised how a lot of you guys jumped all over him.

Unfortunately, by the time I logged on most of the original post had been deleted. From what I could gather he was trying to get the motorcycle driver that hit him to admit he was at fault?

IMO if he has suffered a long term injury from being run over, I think he should be compensated. Replacing the guys bike is the least they could do.

Compared to the story about that Bachelor and his cheering wife, I thought this was much more compelling part of the broadcast.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a stud! I believe Cannondale gave him a new bike.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question, the Christian Sadowski story was truly great. Almost a made-for-TV-event...actually I guess it was caused by the TV crew!

I have a copy of the broadcast and rotate it through others for my weight workouts. I did the race and I think it is as fine a production as could be done. Great way to create a couple of compelling stories out of a fairly fringe event. The debate about Sadowski's accomplishment or the fact that he played such a prominant role in the production were just typical of the whining that goes on in forums by a few. No question, the guy gained legendary status, deservedly so, despite (maybe in addition to) the fact that he was a lottery entrant. you didn't see Simon Lessing or LvL able to overcome their relatively minor problems the way an amateur lottery entrant did his catastrophy.

From what I remember, he was given an $1,800 canondale frame, but also thought that the NBC insurance would pick up the cost of his $4,000 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Amstel. I know Chris personally. He is brash and bold - which is a lot of what I like about him - but he is also a very decent guy. His heart might not have come out in the posts and, yes, some of the responses were fairly harsh. Chris got a lot of publicity out of what transpired. Many people think that is reward enough. Such a thought overlooks that Chris was not looking for it, and did not want it. Chris wanted to finish the race on his terms, in a fashion befitting someone that worked so hard for a dream. Do not judge him so harshly unless you have walked in his shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do not judge him so harshly unless you have walked in his shoes.
...or lack thereof.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post: After watching this years IM Hawaii, I must admit that I was impressed with Sadowski. Then when the guy popped up out of nowhere on slowtwitch, I was surprised how a lot of you guys jumped all over him.

Unfortunately, by the time I logged on most of the original post had been deleted. From what I could gather he was trying to get the motorcycle driver that hit him to admit he was at fault?

IMO if he has suffered a long term injury from being run over, I think he should be compensated. Replacing the guys bike is the least they could do.

Compared to the story about that Bachelor and his cheering wife, I thought this was much more compelling part of the broadcast.

Reply: Thanks for the good words. My other threads were promptly deleted. You hit the nail on the head, all I wanted was for him to admit he was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is funny as $hit!

Okay, walked in his torn, ragged, smelly socks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [csadowsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply: Thanks for the good words. My other threads were promptly deleted. You hit the nail on the head, all I wanted was for him to admit he was wrong.

I understand and agree on a personal level with your wish, but looking at it from a legal liability standpoint, the driver has probably lawyered up and, on advice from a lawyer, doesn't want to admit wrongdoing or responsibilty.

It's probably nothing against you personally, just that given the state of civil torts and contingency lawsuits nowadays, nobody would probably want to get to that point (of admitting fault) without being compelled to in a legal sense.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [csadowsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-----------------------------------------------

First, I would probably feel the same way.

You should read the book " When Life Blows You Down" by Bill Dyer. And, certainly you are a poster child for perserverance; BUT, what good does him admitting he was wrong do for you or anyone else? Does that make you "feel" better?

Dyer, who I know well, addresses those type feelings in his book:

(stomp foot!!) "darn it, i'm entitled to it!" (hands on hip and pout on face) "I'm right, and I'm entitled to it!" (react poorly to others who had nothing to do with it) "I should win, and he should lose!" (somp foot, hands on hips, pout more, take it out on others) "...because I'm right aren't I, he must acknowledge it....because I'm right and he has to tell me I'm right...darn it, I really am!"

The book has some good lessons in it that many of us type As need.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, what would it have hurt so say..."sorry Brah, my bad". Isn't it common courtesy to apologize to someone if you do something wrong? The unfortunate thing is that potential litigation would keep anyone from doing such a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [lumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the first thing your insurance company tells you NOT to do in an accident...admit anything. And of course this guy won't admit to this as it will likely impact on his insurance, impact on him getting the "job" for next year, and could set him up for a lawsuit. I think it is awful what happened to the guy and bravo for finishing the bike walking in. That was awesome. But can you really blame the guy for not wanting to ruin his life? His insurance company should pony up some moola for him though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM legend or not... [lumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't know, what would it have hurt so say..."sorry Brah, my bad". Isn't it common courtesy to apologize to someone if you do something wrong?"

........of course it is! And certainly I agree...the point is not to do further harm to yourself because the other guy won't apologize? How does that help you? The focus of the book is to not let the actions of another knock you off track and make you have an even worse day, that's all.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my signature fits in nicely with this thread.

Quote | Reply
AJ: Do you mind if I steal that one? That's the best line yet that I've read on this forum :-)

Tony
Quote Reply