Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off season training and the average age grouper.
Quote | Reply
I know most of us train pretty much all year with a bit off for the holidays or recover from the season. But just being on this board constitutes a deeper commitment to the sport. What about the average ager? The runner who does a couple tris a year, the cyclist who is cross training. Do most of these guys train all year or just wait till it is nice enough to get back out and train? My boss is one of these people. He does 1 tri a year (Chicago), 1 10k on the 4th of july. A 20k cc ski ands usually some other thing that hits his fancy. He runs or rides pretty much every week but with no plan unless he is getting ready for a race. Do the majority of triathletes train like this? are we the rule or the exception? BTW I fall in the middle, I always intend to train more than I actually accomplish. But this year all I took completely off was 2 wks at the holidays. And I got my sorry butt into the gym on the off season this year. That is goin to pay huge dividends as I can already see the performance difference.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Off season training and the average age grouper. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a woman who only does one home town sprint tri every year. She wins her AG every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Minnesota where we are not able to throw down mega mileage and training due to weather on most days. As a result, I end up getting taking most of the winter off. From October to February. No specific training in mind, but I keep active, skiing, biking on the trainer, occasionally running outside. But this is only two, maybe three time a week. since we don't have events until June, we don't need to be in race shape until then. I think many of you would be surprised at how quickly you can dust off the cobwebs.

I have several friends who do IM's later in the season and they all started training in the last 4-5 weeks... not 4 months ago. I started my program this week... heading towards Pigman HIM and TC marathon. It's the earliest I've ever started.

When I was under 20, I could start training a month in advance and still bring home an age group win occasionally... granted much less competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing tri's for about 5 years and have always trained year round. The last couple of years I've pretty much stopped skiing (downhill) all together because I was afraid of injuries. This year I took a new approach. I haven't trained in any structured fashion for triathlon since November. I've been skiing all winter, running with friends, riding my bike here and there and haven't gotten wet in about 2 months. It's been GREAT!!!!!!

I'll do a race or two this year and I'll start tri training in a month or so. The difference is that I've realized how much I've been missing focusing strictly on triathlon. I've always been a middle of the packer and probably always will be, but this winter's been a load of fun!!

Triathlons will still be great they just won't be my life.
Quote Reply