Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ttn, glad to see you lurking
Quote | Reply
I'm up to 5 hours saturday and sunday, if I split them and went 2 in the am 2 in the pm and 2 in the evening do you think it is really necessary to do super long days for the solo race? how often and how long would your longest day be?

hows school?

Later, Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: ttn, glad to see you lurking [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey andrew, whattup?

(speaking of prep for 24 hour mtn bike races) i sorta think that long days split up like you are doing are fine. they fit life better, and possibly even are better altogether since the chance for overuse injury is ( i think) lessened, and they build up tenacity by hitting you with that stiffness and sloggy and damn-i-don't-wanna-be-doing-this feeling by the third ride of the day. the key to a 24 solo is just to keep yer ass going when you have 14 hours in the done column and 10 freaking more to go . . . . . i think doing multiple rides prepares you better for that than does just grinding along. i mean, how long you actually gonna DO for a long ride? 6? 8? 10? none of them will prepare you to feel like you will during that 24 solo at 3 am, man. better to jut be ready to know what it is like to climb back in saddle for another lap when you are already past sore and tired - looking to survive. multiple rides imulate that better, i think.

longest day was like 9 hours, maybe ten, done in three or four stretches. that seems like enuf. past that you are just being a freak about it.

oops, wait - that is a lie. i did a 12 hour race also . . . around 2months before the 24. that was good- main benefit there was in dialing in the need for adequate pacing off-road. in my case i was on a singlespeed for the 12 and the 24 so i used the 12 hour experience to convince me of the benefit of gearing down a little more than i wouldv'e normally. for the bulk of the race - and had a spare SS with a bigger gear for later at the end if i felt like craking it, which i did.

school is expensive. :)
Last edited by: t-t-n: Feb 24, 05 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: ttn, glad to see you lurking [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of making my 4 day ride camp at Easter ultra long days prehaps off road. Either way I think 4 days of long days in the saddle should put me in the right frame of mind.

Are you doing a Masters? and working?
Quote Reply