Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me?
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously considering buying rotorcranks for my upcoming season. I'd like to hear pros and cons (if there are any cons). My A races this year are IMLP and IMFL. I have a custom Yaqui and am currently riding compact cranks. I'm better than average rider. Won the state TT for my cat this past year, but spun out on the downhills. I really like the gearing for hills that I'm currently running (50x34), which creates my hesitation for the switch prior to Placid. I'd also be interested in gearing opinions if I do buy the rotors. I have a climbers build. I ride on average about 6 days per week. 2 of those days are training using powercranks. How much time can the rotors potentially save me over IM distance? Thanks in advance for any input and please let me know if you need more info.

Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me? [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you like the option of the 34, but spin out on the 50? Check the classifieds my friend. For the record, I love em, and have spoken about the pros. No cons pop into my head, other than the fact they aren't free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, you and I are wondering the same thing. I recently posted a similar question and got several good responses. Search my posts for the subject line "PC problem". The first couple of replys are about an installation problem I had, and then the thread switches to one about PC's and RC's working together. There are a couple replys by sojourner that are very interesting. I would be very interested to hear what you decide. How long have you been using the PC's? If you do get the RC's, I would like to hear how to combo works for you.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How much time can the rotors potentially save me over IM distance?"

Hi Andy, this is going to be a tough one to estimate, as it will greatly vary on your adaptation to the system, the course terrain, and over 112 miles a lot can affect your bike split. Over 40k we have seen general improvements of 1-2 and even 3 minutes. My own personal experience and testing revealed a 1 minute benefit over 20k.

That said, I'll stick my neck out, and, in line with Ben Larsen's tests, say a ~8 to 10 minute benefit using Rotor Cranks over conventional cranks, over 112 miles (YMMV).
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Feb 23, 05 22:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, (nice choice of bike, BTW!), here's what Rotors did for me. A couple of years ago, I began training on PC's and my PR TT went from 23+mph to 25.04 mph on the same track as I've ridden over the years. I worked pretty hard on TTing, it was the main bike riding thing that I did (obviously, I didn't do it great...one of the reasons I started doing more Triathlons). Fast forward another year and I got Rotors. With zero TT training, and with tired legs, and with a heat index of 110, I was able to tie my PR of 25.04 mph on that same track....without the usual practice. I really thought I'd do well to hit 24 mph, based upon how I felt and the lack of TT-specific training.

This year, I'm going to do this TT a couple of times, and I think I'll set a new PR...harder to do each year as I creep closer and closer to 50. I did need more adaptation time than I thought at first, because it did tire my medial quad a little faster than riding PC's or regular cranks, but Rotors immediately allowed me to run one higher gear over rolling terrain at the same perceived effort and same HR. That's significant.

If you get them, be sure to give yourself time to get acclimated to them before racing an IM...but, that generally runs true with any major change, as I'm sure you realize. Best of wishes to you in your search for more speed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input Titan! Do you remember how long your adaptation took you in terms of time or miles?

Thanks again, Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with your PC's and let any success you have be the result of hard work improving the engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Andy,

200 miles or 3-4 weeks initially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, I thought I was completely adapted in the first week. But, after riding them in a race a couple of weeks after I got them, I realized I wasn't fully adapted. I still had the second fastest bike split in my AG, it wasn't that the race went bad, but, my medial quads were SHOT! I'm going to guess it took about 2 months, for me that is about 800 miles. +/- a couple of weeks or a couple of hundred miles. I could only really tell I wasn't quite adapted for a few training rides...just a little extra fatigue in the medial quads, and that's all. So, don't let it sneak up on you thinking you're completely adapted before you really are.

Then, burn up the course.

;-D

Quote Reply
Re: Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Stick with your PC's and let any success you have be the result of hard work improving the engine. "

Triathletes get an aerodynamic advantage (and faster) by using aerobars. The same case could be made:

"Stick with your drop bars and let any success you have be the result of hard work improving the engine. "

Just like aerobars make a rider faster aerodynamically, Rotor Cranks make the rider faster by increasing efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, I have found three stages of adaptation

1. The initial 20 minutes of riding = "wow, these feel weird!"

2. The first 2 weeks to 1 month = adapted, ready to race

3. The first 3 months = totally adapted, all gains noticed
Quote Reply
Re: Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont get me wrong Gary, I think your genius for inventing these things. But I think there is a huge difference between getting lower on your bike and using an apparatus that changes your form of pedaling. I really wish I could see them as being "legal". Perhaps there will come a day when they are the standard crank. Im all for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotorcranks - Will they benefit me? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jd, is 1040 a hint towards the IRS form by the same name?

Gary didn't invent them, they were invented, and are manufactured in Spain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I though Gary was the Frank Day of RC's.. 10:40 was my first I-Man time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing for 14 years, of all the money I've spent to go faster, RC's are by far the "fastest" purchase I've ever made. Puts race wheels to shame, take all your titanium parts away, throw DA out the window....blah blah blah. I was tested and have always been told that I had a very effecient and even pedal stroke. I worked on it for years!! I can't beleive how fast these cranks make you. I didn't expect to see the increase in power throughout the pedal stroke like I have. I'm so sold on my training RC's that I'm waiting patiently (Gary!!) for the second set I ordered for my race bike! Anyone want a set of DA 180mm cranks with DA 54TT rings? I have 2 sets to sell!!

Paul
Quote Reply