Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

THE Workout Thread
Quote | Reply
I had an idea while I was out running today after spending some serious time mapping out my training and racing schedule for the next 5 months. Since many ST members make daily visits to the forum, I thought a few might be willing to take five seconds and post their workout for the day. Newbies could follow exactly what a triathlete or marathon runner or whatever does on a DAILY basis and either learn or follow along.

For your first post, state your starting point, your goal, and a few key events in your calendar (so a marathon newbie doesn't do a 10K-er's workout.) I realize that if this catches on, it might screw a few PT's, but generally people who actually go out and get a PT want some personal customization.

I'm willing to do it.

I'm a novice triathlete whose goal is to work up to my first half ironman and my first marathon by the end of the season. I can't swim right now and would like to be able to crawl through an entire mile by July.

What I did today: Slow Recovery Run (SRR) 3 miles

What I ate today: Lunch: Quiznos chicken bacon med sub; Linner: Spinach salad, Quinoa, bannana, bagel w/cream cheese: Dinner: Turkey n cheese sandwich, green tea
Quote Reply
Re: THE Workout Thread [xen355] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a triathlete whose goal is to meet smartasscoach, beat briantryintri in a beer drinking contest.... and to do a workout so insane that even Cousin Elwood would not attempt it.

I'm training for Cali 1/2, IMAZ and IMCDA

This morning I ran 8 miles

This afternoon I spent 1:40:00 on my computrainer

Today I ate 3 breakfast burritos, a bag of corn chips, 6 chocolate chip cookies, a ham & cheese sandwich, 2 Protein Shakes, 2 bottles of ale, a glass of merlot and I'm thinking about what to have for dinner.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Newbies could follow exactly what a triathlete or marathon runner or whatever does on a DAILY basis and either learn or follow along." Just copying someone's routine doesn't sound like a great idea but interesting just to see what everyone is doing, maybe get some ideas for workout structure, etc.

Me, I'm 10 days out from IMNZ and following my coach Gordo Byrn's schedule. This taper week before race week will still be 18 hours of s/b/r, but down from my average of 24hpw and peak of 34. (It will be interesting to see what this hi volume 20 week build does for me on race day. I am more a process guy than a goal guy (maybe by necessity coz I'm slow!) but I have had an amazing time just getting out there and training. In fact, I'm a bit bummed that I have to dial down the training hours to taper for the race!)

Today I swam 3k LCM, including 5x 300 on 5:00, holding 1:35/100 (which is "upper steady" pace for me). Then I did 60mins of stretching and light core work. This afternoon I did a hilly 40k bike "just ride it" and finished on the flats with 4x6min big gear on 3min RI. I'm off in a minute to town for day 9 of a 10 day "top up" at the local simulated altitude training center. That counts as an additional hour workout - i learned during the first course that it really does stress the body!

Today I ate a bowl of oatmeal and coffee (bfast #1), an apple and a banana (post-swim snack) then a big fruit smoothie w/ PRO powder and oatmeal and almonds (bfast #2), then a bowl of leftover homemade chicken ravioli w/ tomato sauce and an apple and green tea (lunch). Probably a big salad with tuna and kidney beans for dinner.

Tommorow is a key 1k TT at the pool, light core/stretch and after lunch a 45min run (15min EZ, 20min steady, 10min EZ).

Can't believe I'm 10 days out already!!! I wish I could bottle some of my excitement and ship to y'all up north!
Last edited by: johnthesavage: Feb 23, 05 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike on the trainer:

Spinervals Aero base builder II - 3x20 min with 1 min rest between sets. 20x1:00 with 15 seconds rest, 10x2:00 with 15 seconds rest, 5x4: with 15 seconds rest. 70% MHR.
Last edited by: xen355: Feb 24, 05 13:38
Quote Reply