Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Madison, WI peeps - hill climb TT?
Quote | Reply
The King of Jester thread made me think of posting this here. The road/mtb team I'm riding for this summer has been batting around the idea of putting on a small-scale hill climb tt on one of the climbs near Blue Mound park. Unless we went all the way up to the main park from the back side, it would probably be around 3/4-1 mile - short, but painful. Three questions -

(1) Is this something you would do?
(2) How much would you pay for something like this (no t-shirts, no timing chips, a little food and music at the finish, etc.)?
(3) Would you also/rather do a running race on the same course? If there was a large contingent of triathletes involved, I'm sure it would be no big deal to have a footrace after the bike race. Maybe we could even have some sort of best-of-both competition.

This is obviously in the very early planning stages, and I'm not sure it will even happen this year, but I wanted to put some feelers out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison, WI peeps - hill climb TT? [jabroz01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from the area, and wouldn't be interested in doing such a thing. I'm just a beginner though, focusing on improving my endurance.

I can't imagine there would be too many triathletes interested in such a short race, but I could certainly be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending when it was, I'd be down for that. Planning on the HHH anyways...

I'd pay $5-10 for the service of timing, and a little snack afterwards. Wouldn't be interested in a run though, but may do it anyways if it was the same day/time.

There are a number of hills in the area that may work, but the problem I see if you don't have it right at the Mds park would be car parking. I suppose you could always have it at one of those north of the park (Mounds Park road or Ryan rd) and make people climb back up to their cars after the TT is done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be fun. I would pay upto $10 to do it. The practice crits are $5 (if they happen again) and most people are happy to drop that every week.

As for running - that would hurt - i probably wouldn't do that...

Why wouldn't you go all the way to the top? If you went up the longest hill (N side i think) it would be about 3 miles i think? that way we could all leave our cars in the mtb trail parking lot and ride down to the start. I guess the only thing would be getting permission from the park. Maybe you could do it mid-week at 6pm(?)....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definately do it, use climber types never get something like this! I would pay...probably 15-20 just because I understand that events like this require time/permits/planning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may very well be interested, I'm more of a West WI person though though I'd travel to do it. Maybe pay 5-10. Hell, I'd even be down for the run portion too. If oyu continue on planning this, repost with a date or email address.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for both the HHH and a hill climb.

Although, I'd HIGHLY encourage a chip event. Too much monkey business otherwise. This is perhaps where a "do it yourself" GPS type device would work really well. Rent/buy 25 of them and switch b/w users.....
Quote Reply
Re: Madison, WI peeps - hill climb TT? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do a time trial at work (how fun is that as a job) and the way we work it without a time chip is that everyone has a specific start time and we use ONE clock for timing at the finish. As long as the start clock at the base is syncornized with the top - and both sides have the start list it's pretty easy to figure out everyone's time with a simple excel spreadsheet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the reaction in western Dane county last year to the numerous road events, I would strongly recommend that you get approval from every local government unit involved, especially the townships.

Contact and meet the officials. Talk. Ask. Think Bonasera making a request of Don Corleone. You are becoming part of their community. Make friends.

Or would you consider doing it instead in Sauk County in the Baraboo Bluffs region? Nice long (midwest long) climbs, less traffic, and less events.

Sounds fun.

Quote Reply
Re: Madison, WI peeps - hill climb TT? [d2p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live not to far from the Baraboo bluffs (a little further for madison folks, but not by much), and one place that immediately came to was Bluff Road by Devil's Head resort. This is a favorite climb for me, and it must be about 1 to 1.5 miles. I've seen cars parked along the side of the road at the base of the hill for auction before.

Just another option, may not be as popular for location, but likely easier on the locals. I've also seen mtn bikers riding around in the summer (races at Devil's Head?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was local of in town I would give it a tri. maybe do a series of hills?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, cool, my sister lives in Blue Mounds. I won't be making the trip from Tempe for the race though :-).

I think it should really be a "best 10 climb average" though since it's only 1 mile! What is the gradient?
Quote Reply