Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 Campy hub conversion
Quote | Reply
My friend Lisa has Zipp 404's (probably about 5 years old) as her race wheels, and ran it with Dura Ace 9 speed on her Kestrel. She's just had a new Look KG486 built up, a stunning bike, full Campy. She needs to make the Zipp work, and the shop is telling her that Zipp doesn't make a convertor or a hub that she can add to her wheel to use the new Campy 10 speed cassette. Not sure if that's the right translation of the problem, but the question is really how does she continue to use the Zipp with her new setup and not sell them and buy new ones? Anyone?

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 Campy hub conversion [bglading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to Zipp.com and view the accessories page. On that page there is the option to purchase a cassette body to convert from shimano to campy or vis-versa. I would think they would still work with 5 year old 404s but you may want to contact Zipp directly. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their most recent hub has a cassette body that can be swapped out for switching between shimano and Campy. I have this hub on my Zipp disk if you need to take a look at it.

I don't think these hubs are five years old though. I think they were introduced three or so years ago.

Let me know if you need a hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 Campy hub conversion [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2002 Zipps and forward have a different cassette body than the ones from prior years. You CAN get a swapable cassette body for either. A friend has one for the older pair and I have one for the newer type. It is also very esy to swap.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beginning about 5 years ago, all Zipp wheels have had easily interchangeable cassette bodies. Beginning with 1999 model year, wheels having oval shaped metalized decals and black straight-pull hubs were produced in Switzerland by Edco and have interchangeable bodies. The next generation was a similar looking black hub utilizing straigh pull spokes, but has USA laser etched on the hubshell. These are the first of our US made hubs which were done in response to bankruptcy filings by EDCO. These have a different body and seal, but are also easily interchangeable. The latest generation beginning 2003 utilize silver hubs with black carbon endcaps, and also have interchangeable bodies. None of these are interchangeable with each other, however, so if your friend can call Zipp the guys in customer service can guide her through determining what hub she has and what body she needs.

If this is a grey hub with a carbon fiber center section, those are now 7+ years old and we are sold out of pretty much all replacement parts including cassette bodies of both types.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 Campy hub conversion [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Retail price is about $65.00 from Zipp but they are currently not available, should be a couple weeks I guess. Easy easy easy to do.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 Campy hub conversion [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If this is a grey hub with a carbon fiber center section, those are now 7+ years old and we are sold out of pretty much all replacement parts including cassette bodies of both types.

Thanks all. Sounds now like the wheels are from '97, so the current adaptors won't work. Does anyone possibly have something I could buy her that would work?

Thanks

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try a conversion cassette like the one from Wheels Manufacturing. That's what I use with the powertap. The only thing is you're limited in your gear options.
Quote Reply