Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

911 - Question on my powertap pro
Quote | Reply
The weekend before last, it was raining during my ride, but my power tap pro worked like a champ. This past weekend, after cleaning up my bike with water only (just a hose w/ low pressure and a sponge; I was careful to avoid the rear hub), I took it out for another ride.

I also added a Cateye CC CD300DW (dual wireless computer) between rides.

Okay here's the problem: My powertap worked intermittantly. Based on the odometer (15 miles on a 35+ mile ride), I would say it worked 1/3 of the time, but intermittantly. I would see my power, HR and cadence readings a few seconds, they would dissapear for 10 seconds, then reappear. So my question is this: Is my new Cateye computer interferring with my powertap OR do you think I got water in the hub and it is interferring (but the HR doesn't work either, so this may not be the likely problem)?

Anyone esle run a powertap and a wireless cateye and have interference problems? If so, what was your fix?
Quote Reply
Re: 911 - Question on my powertap pro [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem last year. I called CycleOps and they told me that any other wireless device can cause problems. I use a Polar when I ride with the PT and haven't had any trouble with it, but have heard that some computers will mess up the signal.

That being said - the original reason I was calling CycleOps was because the PT cut out in heavy rain. You might want to check the seal on it & the batteries. sometimes you just have to remove the cap, make sure the batteries are in properly and then screw it back on.
Quote Reply
Re: 911 - Question on my powertap pro [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I thought of that, but wouldn't the heart monitor work the whole time and the cadence too (and the cadence is not wireless!)? Only the power signal, which comes from the hub is asffected by water.

I'll call them tomoroow and post my findings. Thanks for the respone though. Good to know it could be interference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cateye and the PowerTap use the same frequency range...they're interfering with each other...HRMs use a slightly different freq (duh, since the PT comes with one, of course they had to have different freqs)...another cyclocomputer, however...uses the same range...probably in this instance the freq is either right next to, or overlapping the PT freq. PTs are a bit finicky anyway when it comes to reception...you've just compounded the problem.

The other thing to check, not knowing how long you've had the PT, is the head unit battery. That's a simple swap, and can sometimes be the culprit in reception issues...and then, of course...the hub batteries...these don't last as long...maybe 4-5 months of riding (a lot less if you're doing huge volume, obviously...I find I have to change mine every 3 months).

But since you mention adding another wireless transmitter to the bike...I'd start there.
Quote Reply
Re: 911 - Question on my powertap pro [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Guess I am basically screwed.

I got the Cateye for when I am not using the Powertap wheel on back. I guess I need to figure a way to add/remove the cateye transmitter easily for the times I am not using the Powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PT can be used as a normal cyclocomputer. Just change the setting in menu 4 of the setup menu on the head unit and line u p a wheel magnet with the PT sensor. You'll have to angle the receiver in a bit toward the wheel as well. I use mine this way when racing with my disc or H3 rear wheels. No issues. Check out the manual...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip - good to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tribri -

did you glue a magnet onto your disc? did it work OK? i've always taken the whole thing off and put on a new computer for races without the PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I glued on one my disc. Works great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, superglue works great. You can also pick up a super small, super powerful neodymium magnet at Radio Shack to do the job. Its about 3/16 of an inch diameter and about 1/8 inch thick...

The magnet will come off fairly easily if you ever need to remove it, as well...
Quote Reply