Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Attire
Quote | Reply
I will be doing Ironman Arizona in April...it will be my first Ironman and I wanted to get some ideas on what to wear....a tri suit, bike shorts...?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [ehan6455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men - tights and long shirts. Baggy.

Women - thong and no top. Or no thong...naked, yeah, naked.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut-off jeans, snorkel mask, beach cruiser with a bunch of tennis balls in the spokes, ten-gallon hat, converse shoes, no socks... and still beat 10 hours.

I dare you.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if the "tennis ball in the spokes" would fly, how about the old "card attached to your seat stay with a clothes pin" so the card flaps against your spokes and makes you sound all mean and fast!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record you must stop it - you are killing me. I am in stiches.

This is the funniest thing I read today.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have many options. You can change from swim to bike and run and change clothes totally in each transition. You can wear the same thing throughout the race. It all depends on how comfy you want to be, time goals etc...

Whetever it is train in what you will race in.

I wore Titanwear shorts the whole event. At t1 I put on a tri top. The sand and salt from the swim started bothering me in my private regions later in the ride. At t2 all I changed were shoes. I got a little cold toward the end.
Last edited by: elund: Feb 22, 05 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a personal preference. it took me 3ims to settle on bike shorts (for comfort) left on for the run and a sleeveless tri top the whole way too. put arm warmers and a vest in your t1 bag just in case the weather goes south. i also put an extra pair of socks and bandaids in my special needs run bag. last year at placid, i stopped at 13.1 of the run and put both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore tri-shorts & a sleeveless bike jersey.

I'd stay away from the tri-suit... it's more cumbersome to manuever when/if you have to relieve yourself and don't plan to do it on-the-fly.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, wore a 1 pc suit for 1/2IM, and I tell ya I blew a couple minutes in T2 trying to get out of it to pee,,, and then to get back into it!

Tri shorts, sleevless tri top. Although I think I may switch shorts for the run... I'll have to see how the training goes ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear a pair of tri shorts and a long course singlet from start to finish (except Hawaii when I swam without the top since I didn't have a wet suit over it). It all depends on how fast you want your transitions to be and how comfortable you are without a lot of padding for 180k of cycling. You can change into cycling gear and then back into running shorts and a singlet at T2 if you prefer but it is best to go with whatever you're most comfortable with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I will be doing Ironman Arizona in April...it will be my first Ironman and I wanted to get some ideas on what to wear....a tri suit, bike shorts...?

Wear a speedo on the swim.

Change to bike shorts on the bike.

Change to run shorts for the run.

It will take you less than 20 seconds to change each time and you will be WAY more comfortable.

Figure out somewhere else to save 40 seconds!

"It is better to just strike a straight blow with a crooked stick than to spend your whole life trying to straighten the damn thing out!" (Bill Oncken)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the changing stations for one to get into in order to change into the bike shorts @ T1? Sorry for the newbie question.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you rephrase that question please?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ironman events have changing tents - one for men and one for women. No issues with changing shorts.
Last edited by: jasinsf: Feb 22, 05 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After trial and error over several IMs, I have found I like tri shorts with tri(long distance) top best. For several years I used a one piece suit but lost time during rest stops on the run. I was already tired and then trying to get a top down was a pain. So now I use De Sota tri shorts and top. I wear the same thing for the S/B&R and haven't had any issue with discomfort. When I did IM Hawaii a couple of years ago I used the DeSoto tri full suit for the entire race without any problems. I just made sure to rinse off the salt good after the swim and use plenty of BodyGlide.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Excellent question and you are smart to plan and test your clothing options in advance.

A few thoughts:
  • Some people prefer to make clothing changes to increase comfort.
  • Good planning can reduce or eliminate clothing changes to speed transitions but still provide good comfort.
  • You're going to be pretty gross anyway, so changing clothes may appeal to you, but then again, you can argue it is kind of pointless also since you'll be all gross anyway.

Specifically, One good strategy is this one I used at Ironman Canada 1997:

Swim: Wore Speedo under wetsuit with heart rate monitor band. Stripped off wetsuit after swim.

Bike: In changing tent pulled on bike shorts, jersey with arm warmers already in back pocket. Pockets also pre-loaded with race food. Pulled arm warmers on once underway on bike to save time.

Run: Pulled off shorts and jersey, pulled on running singlet with small back pockets for run. Ran in Speedo.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That answers my question! THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Attire [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Do you keep the speedo on underneath the bike shorts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
old people in arizona ride in golf carts everywhere. you might want to consider one of those. i find e-z go is better than players carts. personal preference. like campy over shima-no.

"I push the envelope so hard it says, 'excuse you'." -MC Paul Barman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Top hat and tails (and Vitruvians).

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply