Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Altitiude Adjustment
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be taking a business trip to Colorado in July. I've never been there so I'm excited. The problem is that I live in NC and am concerned about the altitude change and how to adjust. Should I just go on with my normal training (approx 5 hrs / week mostly running)? Should I take 3 or 4 days to adjust, then start training again? Maybe something else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

JimB in NC
Quote Reply
Re: Altitiude Adjustment [JimB in NC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in CO, but now live in sunny FL. I return to CO 1-2 times a year to visit family and friends, so here is my .02 FWIW. Do not stop training, but take a reasonable approach for the first 3-4 days, gradually increasing your effort. If you begin to feel light-headed or headachy, back off. A lot depends on the real altitude difference too. If you live in Western NC and are going to Denver, you won't notice much difference. But, if you live in coastal NC, and are going to climb Mt. Evans, you will notice a big difference. Have a nice trip--I will be there 7/24 through 8/06--will be attending my 30th high school reunion.
Quote Reply
Re: Altitiude Adjustment [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Greensboro (800 ft) and am going to be in Colorado Springs for 2 weeks starting the 28th. It will have to be running there because I don't think I'll be able to get my bike there. Too bad, I hear they have some really big hills.

I appreciate your advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Springs " is a little higher than Denver, but you really shouldn't have a problem if you ease into your workouts. You will probably feel like you need a run after sitting in the airplane, if you are flying. Try to take your bike if at all possible, there are some good rides there. Although I haven't done them on a bike, the Air Force Academy is supposed to have some good roads for riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been travelling for business to Golden, CO as well as Albuquerque, NM (also a mile high) for the last year. I live in Greenville, NC - low AND flat. I can run OK out there, but I have learned to sort of glide into it, starting a little slow, noticing the different stresses - altitude plus hills - and then pick it up a bit from there. I've only done base/maintenance type stuff, no speedwork, no over-distance.

None of these trips has been long enough to contemplate an adjustment period. I just go when I can. On some web-zine recently I read that one can actually handle higher altitude better the first day there than 3 or 4 days later, but there was no explanation, back-up or other evidence.

Have fun. I bet it's cooler, and the humidity will absolutely be better!
Quote Reply