Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doping news...seems good idea to me...
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard of this initiative before I just read the article on David Millar over on VeloNews...

""The general idea is the doubling of the sanction. If a rider is sanctioned for one year, they must ride for one year in a continental team," explains Liberty Seguros sport manager Manolo Saiz, who heads the international team's association. "If a rider has a sanction of two years, he has to wait a total of four years to return to the ProTour."

With the 20 ProTour teams assured spots in the grand tours, that would all but guarantee that riders on continental teams won't be racing in the Tour.

"If a rider commits a grave error with hard doping - not something to stop the flu - but something very serious, what we're saying is that once that rider finishes their ineligibility they cannot immediately return to the ProTour," Saiz continued. "They can return to a continental team, and if in this time they regain the confidence of the cycling world, they will return once again to the ProTour."

Regaining that confidence, of course, means racing without failing another doping test. And a second offense would mean a life-time ban."

This seems like a great initiative to me...I particularly like the lifetime ban for a second offense...but the effective doubling of the sanction should give folks pause as well when they consider doping...and frankly, I like that they (at least Saiz) in this case, makes a distinction between an incidental stupid mistake like taking a cold/flu medicine that has banned substances (admittedly, they should know better...but the spirit of the rules is to prevent performance enhancement...not to prevent the treatment of the nasties with a swig of Niquil...)...and "hard doping"...

Of course...having decent sanctions in place and leaving room for rehabilitation of erring riders is only PART of the equation...as the Hamilton case demonstrates...we have to have solid testing procedures in place or the riders will circumvent the process leaving us right back where we started (this isn't a comment on the merits of Hamilton's case or what I believe is the truth in that case...I'm simply pointing out that riders will be prepared to defend their case and find the slightest hole in the testing procedures...so the testing procedures have to be air-tight...)

How about the rest of you...thoughts on this initiative and sanction process...at least for the Pro Tour riders...
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news...seems good idea to me... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if this sanction provision seems good to you...how could something similar be instituted in multisport? I can't really come up with much since there is nothing analogous to the Pro Tour / Contintental Pro levels... I just like the jail-to halfway house-to full restitution progression concept...where could we put some like Kraft after she's served her initial suspension?
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news...seems good idea to me... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put her back on the starting line, if she chooses. She will have done her time. People get released from prison daily, able to return to how ever a normal life they can. The stigma will always be there. I see nothing wrong w/ her, or this season Kelly Guest, returning to the pro ranks to race.

Why do people want further punishment after the sentence has been served?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 22, 05 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news...seems good idea to me... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many want to see the folks run out of the sport because they [the cheater] broke the trust. Done deal. Find a new life. Bank robbers don't get out of prison and go work at a bank (federal regulations). Race robbers shouldn't be allowed back on the starting line.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news...seems good idea to me... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't really looking at it as extending the punishment...I'm looking at the entire process as the punishment. However...part of the appeal to me, here, is that the punishment IS longer, and more severe...but NOT so much so that the athletes are permanently removed from sport...A two year solid suspension becomes four years from top level competition...but the cyclists will still have the opportunity to come back and race, earning enough to support theirselves, after just two years...Its NOT about extending the punishment...its about what adequate punishment ought to be to provide a decent deterrent...

part of the reason this won't work in multisport, after pondering this somewhat today, is that a VERY few athletes actually earn a living in this sport at the level that allows them not to work in other capacity...and most of that is sponsor $...there is no team/contract setup analogous to pro cycling...there is no way to have athletes practicing their sport, earning enough to live off of and allowing the athlete to focus solely on their craft...yet not at the TOP level of the sport...in triathlon you are either racing or you are not.
Quote Reply