Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn Disk question
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I just received my Renn Disk and since this is my first disk I did not know what to expect. First off what does everyone use to cover the valve hole and what type of pump does everyone use to get into that hole to pump the tire up. Also, I noticed within the valve hole it is not sealed. I can see the honeycomb matrix(looks like cardboard which I know it is not but.....) Is this supposed to be sealed up or what. Also, the rim hangs over the carbon sheet a little bit is that normal? I am new to this and am more curious than concerned. The wheel seems straight and true but I would still like to know from others. Thanks for all your input. I am using it for the first time this weekend. Help me ease my mind. Thanks.

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disk question [craig16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You disc sounds exactly as it should be. On my HED disc, I used double wide electrical tape to cover the holes for the valve. Get the Silca 'crack pipe' disc wheel adapter (http://www.coloradocyclist.com/...3425,13426,13427) to pump up your disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disk question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Thanks for your post. It sets me at ease now. Thanks again...

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. Now, I do expect to see a post next week about how you cut 10 minutes off your bike split. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craig, some people just use duct tape(I ride mine like it came out the box) and just bend the valve outward to put your pump head on it. You don't need an extension with a Renn.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disk question [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duct Tape! :-0 Don't you know that style matters. ;-)

I'd be a little nervous 'bending' the valve stem out all the time. The adapter is inexpensive ($9) and works well. I saw that Zipp gives you one with their new discs.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disk question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be nervous bending the valve out also on that. Anyway for $1000 bucks for a Zipp I would expect it to inflate itself..... Ha Ha... Thanks for all the good tips everyone. BTW.. No matter what I ride Sunday it will be a PR since I have never done the Half-Iron distance but I do hope the wheel rides good. Thanks again.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a piece of painter's wide blue masking tape...doesn't stick so much as duct (or duck, depending on the brand name) tape. It also holds well even in the rain...it's good stuff. I use a crack-pipe (did I really just write that?), but if you want to just bend the stem out, I'd suggest using a long stemmed tube, and maybe even put an extension on it while you fill it. This way, you can get the pump head on without torqueing the tube/stem junction as much. Since this a common problematic area in terms of causing air loss, I think minimizing the abuse there is prudent.

PS, good luck on the half...my Renn sails along just fine...I even use it on mountainous races.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you describe is normal.

As far as the exposed nomex, this is not a big deal, but if you feel it is scary, get some household epoxy and seal that nomex up.

I use black electrical tape to cover that hole. I also bend out my valve. This seems to have no ill effects on my tyres, and it is A LOT easier to do than use the Silca disc wheel adaptor.

Enjoy your disc. It will help improve your splits. It is the highest quality disc for the money you will find.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disk question [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman and Yaquicarbo,

Thanks for the posts and setting my mind at ease that this is normal. I had a pretty decent half-Iron today. I cant tell you that I shaved ten minutes off my time since it was my first. Actually it was my first Tri back since '91. The wheel handled great and I will say there is no better sound when you are going at speed on that thing. It was a very hilly course(Tinman Wisconsin) but the wheel was no problem to climb with. I did find a crack pipe since I had the short valve stem. Thanks again I look forward to meeting all of you sometime soon. Take care.

Craig

BTW: Bunnyman you will be pleased both my front wheel and Disk are Tubulars. The only way to go...... Take care......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad that you saw the light with tubs. They are just plain superior.
Quote Reply