Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Clincher questions
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about trying these as an alternative to clinchers. I was on Tufo's website and watched the installation video, but have a few questions. What are the "best bang for your buck" tubular clinchers? What do those who ride them ride? Any suggestions on where to get them?

Also, the Tufo site didn't say what to do in case of flat. Any ideas? What do I carry with me now? No more tubes, but do I carry co2? An inflater? How do you "fix" a flat?

Thanks for any responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Clincher questions [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So nobody rides these things and could provide info? Yes, a shameless bump of my own post, which I think is wrong - but if it is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode them for a few thousand miles last summer. For some reason, I always felt slow on them. Went back to normal clinchers. As for fixing flats, you're kinda screwed since it's unlikely that you're going to carry an extra tire. Use the sealant and carry a CO2 cartridge or two. Apparently you can ride on them even if they're flat, but I wouldn't want to test it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like the worst of both worlds to me. You have the extra rim weight of the clincher rim, without the ability to repair the thing if (and when) it flats. I used to repair my sew-ups by cutting into it and patching the hole in the inner tube, re-sewing and re-taping them...at least it made a good spare. Can't do that with the Clincher-tubular, can you? Maybe you can, I've never seen one. BTW, I don't run tubulars now, because I'm not a real man any more. ;-P

I hope someone can help you with your question.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the TUFO cs33 Special as my training tire since i use "normal" tubulars to race. Thats a very nice tire and gives me a "feel" very close to tubular tires.

I dont ride with any spare tools to fix a flat, just some sealant inside the tire. Has been working for me for 2 years without any flat.

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
         I don't see any sense in them. You get the worst of both worlds; you get a tire that can't be fixed when it flats and you get the heavier rim of a clincher. And on top of that unless you get the the skinniest, tiniest, most expensive ones, they are heavier than a clincher tire, tube, and rim strip combined.

And, don't forget the sealent. You can pre-seal your tires so you won't get too many flats. Now your tires way almost 2 lbs each; Great!

PS. I use Verstien Fortezza's full time on my Zipp404 clinchers. Every spring I start with two new ones. About half way through when the rear looks worn I change it, and I have very good luck with flats.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Clincher questions [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titan, Look at my post. We posted almost the same thing at the same time!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Clincher questions [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SweetSweeney wrote: Titan, Look at my post. We posted almost the same thing at the same time!

They say great minds think alike. Do you think that this means that Knuckleheads think alike, too? Are you my long lost brother?

HA!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply