Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Choosing an Ironman in '06
Quote | Reply
I am intending to do an Ironman in '06. My preference is Lake Placid or Wisconsin but am worried if I wait to sign up the day after this year's race is finished I may miss the boat on all the previous ones in '06 as they fill up so fast. So, if you were to choose only one race next year - which would you choose? North America is preference but am not adverse to travelling either.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing an Ironman in '06 [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent question, I hope some people answer, because I'd really like to hear about it. I'm doing two this year, madison and florida, choosen mainly for geographic reasons. I know I will want to do something in 2006, but I don't yet know my options. If I want to do one in the summer, I'll have to sign up for it before my races this year! That means that I'll have to pay for three races before doing any! That is definitely out of whack.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing an Ironman in '06 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am doing IM Arizona - the only negative I can impress about this race - as it has not been staged yet - is the timing - if you live in the northern parts of the country - the endless hours training without hitting the road - have been a killer!

But - it has been a nice distraction to the overeating and indulgence normally associated with the off season

IM NZ is a wonderful experience and IM Western Australia is a great race based on the first staging of it in November. I am hoping to do IMWA this year to round out the season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing Wisc this year, and went up to watch last year and ride the course. I can't wait. Did CDA last year, and I loved it. If I could do any of the North American races though, I think it would be Canada. In fact, a friend is doing it this year and I may have him sign me up. More likely though for 2006, going international. We are looking at Brazil for 2006. Exchange rate is favorable, entry is about $300 US, race hotel is around $75 a night I believe, and you don't have to worry about it filling up immediately. In fact, I think 2005 is still open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I been to every North America Ironman except Canada and I would recommend Lake Placid. It is a tough course, but a great place for a race. Each Ironman offers something different, but Lake Placid is my favorite. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you are looking for...LP and Moo are two very different courses. I've done Canada twice and loved it but it is now incredibly hard to get into. And as has been discussed before, don't necessarily limit yourself to the M-Dot (TM) races---there are some other relatively high profile, well-run IM's across the country that aren't hard to get into and in some cases are at least as well-run as the M-Dot (TM) races.

In choosing your race, think time of year, think terrain, think single loop versus multi-loop, crowds, location, etc. Pick one and don't look back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timing was important for me. Can you get outdoor training (if you want it) when you need it. I hate hot and humid running. LP worked well for me. Time to get long rides in yet not too hot. Actual Early July would be perfect for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing an Ironman in '06 [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First choice is Wisconsin - but I am afraid if I wait to sign up until September and I don't get in I am screwed for '06.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, don't necessarily limit yourself to the IMNA races...but Wisconsin should be easy to get into as long as you're online when entry opens. Yeah, paying for a race 365 days in advance is a pain, but if that's the race you want to do you've really got no choice.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also looking for a race in 06. Does anyone know how hard it will be to get signed up for florida from a computer that day after the race..Will this be impossible or do I have to make a trip to any of the races to get in?????
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing an Ironman in '06 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was considering LP for my first IM in '06 as well, but figured the challenging bike and run courses might be a little ambitious for my first attempt. The upside would be that I'm very familiar with the area since my parents have owned a house on Fish Creek Pond (between Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake) for about 30 years.

Doesn't Tupper have an IM (or is it half) distance race earlier in the year? What's that course like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> So, if you were to choose only one race next year - which would you choose? <<

IM Brazil is what I'm doing next year. NZ is great too. Neither requires you to sign up 365 days early.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply