Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glorifying the mid-pack
Quote | Reply
From today's San Diego sports section. There is an athlete feature every week. Here is this week's:

--------------------

Profile / Amber Cano, runner

February 11, 2005

Background A senior at Cal State San Marcos, Cano started her college career as a softball player at Baylor University. She suffered a torn rotator cuff her freshman year at Baylor, ending her days roaming center field. A cross country runner and softball player at Granada High in the Bay Area, Cano stuck to recreational running. At last weekend's Super Run 10K, Cano, 22, won her age group by more than two minutes, covering the 6.2-mile course in 42 minutes, 56 seconds.

Quick hits Cano's a senior majoring in marketing. She'd like to work in sports marketing for a running event. Maybe you've spotted her at Buca di Beppo in Mira Mesa where she's a waitress. She's run four marathons with a 3:33:30 personal best.

Quotable On her passion for running: "It's peaceful. It's my personal time every day."

Running log Cano runs about six days a week, 45 miles total. Her idea of an ideal workout: an hour run along the coast from Carlsbad to Encinitas. "There's so many people working out on that stretch. There's just a lot of energy."

26.2-mile notes Cano qualified for the Boston Marathon last year, finishing in 4:11 despite battling bronchitis. She's training for the June 5 Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. At 20, she ran her first marathon in Kona, Hawaii, raising money for cystic fibrosis.

Brad Pitt fan The movie might have been panned by critics, but Cano gives "Troy" two thumbs up. "It's a love story and all the action," she said.

--------------------------------

There are literally more than 100 college women runners in San Diego who are faster than 42:xx for 10k. Why the glorification of a slow mid-pack time? My oh my, if this kind of writing can fly in San Diego of all places then I don’t know what to say. It is not as though we’re talking about Switchback, Montana where she could be the “local legend.” This is San Diego of all places; home of Steve Scott, Joachim Cruz, Paula N-F, Scott Tinley, Floyd Landis, and Michielle Jones, among others…..where 1:20 pace in the pool puts you in a slow lane…..where a 17:00 5k doesn’t even get you top-100 at C-bad….where being a Cat-2 roadie is good enough to get you dropped on a group ride. So based on this feature, the paper could just as easily do a feature on the 105th place finisher at the UCSD or SDSU cross country meets in the fall. The times are fairly equivalent. Oh, I get it....10k is much more noble than a mere 5 or 6k. I guess running a marathon to raise money for acne research makes you more special than a random college runner who runs for a team. College runners at this girl's own school also have jobs and other responsiblities. Where are their feature articles? They run about 4-5 minutes faster over 10k. Is running 45 miles a week on your own something special now? Not trying to hate on the mid-pack here (because the front of the pack is middle of the pack at something....just ask Michael Jordan in a baseball uniform) but you have girls the same age in a similar environment running a heck of a lot faster yet they get no press. Cal State's track team had a girl go 2:49 this spring in her marathon debut. Where is her article?
Quote Reply
Re: Glorifying the mid-pack [Crenshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point Crenshaw and identify with what you are saying- actually agree to a substantial degree.

However, here is an alternate view:

The amount of press coverage for athletes isn't necessarily finite. In other words, it isn't as though this were printed in lieu of other future coverage of athletes- at least that's my guess, I don't know for sure.

More importantly, I see a lot of benefit in this. Here's why:

A girl I dated last summer was about 5'3" tall with a athletic build. One night, in all seriousness, she told me she did not participate in endurance sports because, "I saw the other girls in those magazines and they were all taller." She saw photos of 5'6"+ women and was intimidated by them and their performance. She wouldn't participate.

Then she got a publication that profiled a female athlete who was a MOP'er and an executive and was 5'2". This is what she told me when she showed me the article (she actually saved it):

"When I saw her I thought 'It is alright for me to do this- she looks like me, I'm even taller', so I decided it was OK to try."

And she did four triathlons last summer.

Sometimes when people see less intimidating depictions of athletes that is a more comforting inspiration for them to participate, and that is good.

Anyway, that is my outlook to a degree, but I also see what you are saying.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Glorifying the mid-pack [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points, Tom.

Here is a follow-up on that theme.....Last fall a friend ran a sub 2:30 marathon. He typically got one of four reactions from people.

A. "How far was that marathon?..................Wow! You actually ran that far!" (spoken by non-athlete, no mention of time/speed)

B. "Incredible time, are you going to the Olympics now? You might win Boston!" (spoken by someone who thinks anyone who is faster than them is elite)

C. "I knew about 15 guys who went 2:20 back in the day" (usually spoken by old-school 1970s runner)

D. "Good work....but are you racing track season this spring?" (spoken by fellow athletes)

Different people get different things out of the same result. What is one man's PR-race pace is another man's recovery day. There should be a balance between encouraging participation and rewarding speed/achievement. Everyone has different opinions of where that balance should be struck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with Tom. What's wrong with highlighting an average Joe (or Jo) every once in a while? Non-athletes can identify with them a little more. You usually see coverage of the top athletes and, occasionally, coverage of the athletes who came in dead last, 20 minutes after everyone else. You very rarely see the average middle-of-the-packer.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: Glorifying the mid-pack [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind this kind of fluff piece. They have features highlighting "normal" people in every other section of the paper, why not the sports section too?

Newspapers are in the businesss of selling newspapers. Stuff like this feature increases circulation. If it didn't they would put something else there. If covering college cross country sold papers, they would have a reporter at every meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These articies inspire more people to get out and do it than some Olympic hopeful, in my opinion. I have always enjoyed these types of articles. She's still exceptional compared to most people because she goes out and does it. How many 20-year-olds do marathons? I bet more 70-year-olds do marathons than 20-year-olds. But 20-year-olds tend to drink a lot more ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Acne research?

Hmmm,

I think you have a good point here.

MOP and BOPers get way to much respect, thus taking away from all the glory we should be showering on the elite athletes.

I think we should take it even further. I think we should castigate MOP and BOPers at every opportunity. We should constantly remind them how inadequate they are compared to the best of the best, so as they don't get any delusions of granduer or anything.

This has given me a good idea. When I become RD, in my races anyone who finishes out of the top 10 will get a "not so special" t-shirt. On the front will be the name of the race of course. On the back will be either the words "I SUCK" or "LOSER" in big black bold letters. That'll put 'em in their place. No rewards for these lazy bozos. They don't deserve any. Cuz if they weren't lazy and started like they should they would naturally start placing, right?

If I see any more column inches devoted to pseudo-inspirational stories about someone only finishing it the 150th out of 200 i'm gonna barf. These people need to get back to their anonymous mundane lives and leave the glory for those who truly deserve it.

=P
Quote Reply
Re: Glorifying the mid-pack [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a more serious note, I happen to agree with TomD. These sorts of stories help in encouraging others to give this sport a try. IMHO this is only a good thing.

It also does help with paper circulation too. I mean, does the average joe newspaper reader really care about the local college track team? Dollars to donuts the average joe is more curious about stories concerning someone "ordinary" like them doing something "extraordinary".
Quote Reply