Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rant about old people
Quote | Reply
Thank you slowtwitchers, everyone of you for getting off the couch and helping to save society. I work with seniors and meet about 10 new ones every week. The ones who just walk around the block, the ones who do "something" are 10 times better off than those who do nothing. The other miserable folks, hate the gov't, hate you and me for exercising, hate everything, except their medicare/social security payment, who by the way we are paying 100 times more into the system than they ever did and that they will bankrupt. The cost of just the pills taken for their self induced Mcdonalds life coma is astounding. That cost eventually falls on our backs squarly when the are forced on Medicaid. Contrast that to the active exercising grannies who cost our system very little.

Just a rant and encouragement to keep up the good work and stay healthy, it pays dividends when you are old. It isn't even the old anymore, my coworker at 38 is on coumadin and liptor cause he's a fast food junkie and bitches that the drug companies are ripping him off.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant about old people [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, at the other extreme, my old friend Reg died last weekend, he was 70. He fell 300 feet from a climb he was soloing (you daft bastard Reg )on Great Gable, in the Lake District, England.

Last year, in an epic of planning and stamina, he stood on top of all 57 2000' peaks in England. I've known him 23 years and he's never been unhappy or regretful. On a trip to the Himalayas in 1984, I was usually awakened by his cheerful whistling as he made the day's first cup of tea, and soon afterwards entertained by his hyperventilating as he tried to light his pipe (you daft bastard Reg) in the thin air at 15000' .

Such a daft bastard that I'm flying 6000 miles to his funeral.

Good old REG !!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your rant really about fat people who don't do anything about it?

Or is it really about old people? Afterall, we are all going to get old. I don't consider getting old a derogatory status. I think being complacent about getting old and not fighting it every step of the way is bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, life is what you make of it. I've seen the worst and the best. but it can make a person tired and jaded.

In 7 years I can join the AARP. Yesterday I was 20. Weird.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the future. Just wait until my fellow baby boomers hit their old age. Most of the ones I grew up with don't exercise much if at all. They'll be worse off in old age than their WWII generation parents.

And their kids will be worse yet again by the time they are seniors, although with the junk food and sedentary lifestyles, a lot of them won't live that long.

As for myself, now at age 53, I figure there's still another forty years of active living and great sex left yet in me yet. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rant about old people [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As another 53 year old... still finding the exitement in planning, training for, and participating in whatever events I can till I just can't anymore. It gave me great pleasure in blowing by those kids on their motorized mini scooters two days ago. That WTF look on their faces as the "old" guy bicycle past them.
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Rant about old people [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Jimmy Smith, Hammond B3 organist who died this week at 89 yrs old, just released a new CD and was about to fly to LA to record another one. Stephan Grapelli had a recording career from the 1930s all the way until a few years ago and died at 90 somethng, also still recording.

I hope I can be doing what I love when I'm 89.

___

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marko16 -

Couldn't agree more - and to those who said that your rant was just against old people in general, read his post again.

I work in the healthcare industry. Yesterday as I entered into a nursing home one of the elderly, sitting in a wheelchair, saw my bottle of water and said loudly to their elderly homie, "Why do these young people carry water with them, we never drank water and look how long we've lived." I laughed because she was in fact correct, but on the other hand, many of the elderly in other countries aren't bound to a wheelchair with diabetes, respiratory failure, heart disease, ect, plundering our national health care funds.

The majority of Americans should be ashamed at not what they're doing to their bodies, but for the money they are stealing from our pockets.

But, I'm preaching to the choir here....
Last edited by: SlayerHatebreed: Feb 11, 05 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Rant about old people [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hats off to Reg. With only 15 years til I hit 70, I've got a LONG way to go before I qualify for 'daft-bastardhood." But with men such as Reg as beacons...I'm off to do a little training. Cheeers, Reg
Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just turned 21 and feel old.

most of you guys are almost double my age...stop bitching about the elderly...

;)

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply