Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer and Treadmill with Kids?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have ideas to keep kids occupied and away from the trainer or treadmill while working out? I tried to use boxes as a blockade to keep my 15month old daughter off the treadmill but she keeps finding a way to get through. I actually let her run/walk on it a bit and she had fun. Any good gates to get? Other Ideas?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer and Treadmill with Kids? [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always just said NO. Very loudly and DANGER whenever my little guy approached the trainer or treadmill. That worked just fine.

Tri Hard !

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what you do not want to have happen:

In 1989 I was riding my bike on a trainer in the basement. We had a sofa beside the trainer. My two year old daughter was bouncing on the sofa. Anyone with kids knows the instinctive thing to say is "stop bouncing, you are going to hurt youself." Well, I did not say that and kept on cycling. I took my eyes of my daughter for a split second and all of a sudden my pedals lock and the wheel stops. Somehow my daughter bounced off the sofa and managed to get her leg through the pedals of my rear wheel.. The impact snapped her leg in two. Man, did she cry. As naive parents, we were not sure if the leg was broken and actually waited about 12 hours before we went to the ER. Stupid, stupid, stupid....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about an electric cattle prod or one of those invisible dog fences?

I myself, could never accomplish this. My two year old finally stays safely away now after several "close calls". He only ventures close now to get some of "Daddy's juice" (Gatorade). He love's to run at full speed around the basement every time Coach Troy yells to "keep the cadence up!!!"

I also have a nine month old who's getting ready to crawl. I'll never be able to keep her away. Soooooo, looks like I have at least another year or two for doing all of my indoor riding before 7:00 am, while they're still sleeping!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer and Treadmill with Kids? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had visions of that happening when my daughter was young! That must have been horrific.

When she was really young, I'd just get up early and keep her in the crib while she was sleeping, otherwise I'd just play with her. It's a god workout to play with kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kinda having visions of that Mike Myers episode on Saturday Night Live where he is a playing a child tethered to a playground. The kid is eating candy and getting a sugar high and then every time he tried to run, he pulls the entire playground with him. It was pretty funny...

This topic comes up on occasion here and I think the best advise is to position the bike and treadmill so that you can see your children straight on during your entire workout. If they come even close, hit the brakes or pull the key on the treadmill and give them a big "no".

You obviously realize the exposure to dangers these devices can have to children while you are using them, or you wouldn't be posting here. That's a good thing. I pretty much verbally keep my child on the other side of the room while using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer and Treadmill with Kids? [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm kinda having visions of that Mike Myers episode on Saturday Night Live where he is a playing a child tethered to a playground. The kid is eating candy and getting a sugar high and then every time he tried to run, he pulls the entire playground with him. It was pretty funny...

This topic comes up on occasion here and I think the best advise is to position the bike and treadmill so that you can see your children straight on during your entire workout. If they come even close, hit the brakes or pull the key on the treadmill and give them a big "no".

You obviously realize the exposure to dangers these devices can have to children while you are using them, or you wouldn't be posting here. That's a good thing. I pretty much verbally keep my child on the other side of the room while using them.[/reply]

Thats what I do now. Im just looking for a solution so we are both happy and safe. The box thing worked before, but now it takes me about an hour to do a 1/2 hour workout because of me stopping when she gets too close. She doesnt quite understand no yet, so I think I may get one of those self standing gates.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are segmented gates that you can buy at almost pet store that work well for puppies and children. I have a friend that put one around their bigscreen television after their two year old broke one of the front panels. They even fold up pretty small for storage.

http://www.petco.com/...xercise+Pens&ct3=
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A kiddie fence comes to mind, with you and the trainer on the inside, child on the outside. They are kind of like a large playpen, but with no bottom and more adjustability. These are pretty easily found used at garage sales and would work until you are certain that they understand the danger involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did ok with verbal NO's to my son. the dog was another story, tried getting on the treadmill with me and shot across the room more than once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I back my trainer at a diagnal into the corner and then place 5 gallon containers on each side of me which prevent my little girl from getting behind the trainer. She has not yet tried to get near the wheel.

Apparently I look pretty bad in spandex because she likes to sit and laugh at me. She also likes to hand me drinks and let her dolls sit on my aero bars.

Anyway, this has worked for me and lets her be close. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word.........Duct tape
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer and Treadmill with Kids? [mclark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kids are 2 and 4 and I figured out that they were very intrigued by me riding the trainer. Much more so than than runnning on the treadmill. Long story short... I ended up taking there bikes and putting blocks under the training wheels to allow them to ride along with me. Works well for the 4 yr old boy.... my 2 year old does not last very long. Keeps them out of thwat and tires them out...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer and Treadmill with Kids? [JohnInRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dogs: Yes. Its a bummer I can't share all that time onthe trainer with my dogs--I have to put them in another room. One would just sleep, but the other is likely to get up and come over to "sniff" the spokes. That would not be pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tread and trainer are in a different room with a door on it when I am running or riding I lock the door to keep the 17 month old out. When I'm not training I unplug and take the key out of the tread and take the bike off the trainer.

The trainer is especially dangerouse as a little finger is no match for a chain or spoke. I have a friend whose little guy (5noy) has one less finger because it got caught in the chain while his older sister was turning the pedals.

In my mind I would never be able to forgive myself so I just dont let them run on the tread at all (even when it is unpluged) and she is never aroujnd the bike.
Quote Reply