Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first marathon
Quote | Reply
I am running my first marathon this Sunday, February 13th, in Austin, TX.

Wish me luck!!

I will give a post race summary on Monday.

Oh, weather forecast for Sunday.... RAIN! Isn't that wonderful.

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rain is not a problem in a marathon....it will have zero impact on your race and will keep you cool.

Plan your race and race your plan. You need to be very disciplined in your early pacing and not let your competitive juices start to flow until mile 18 or 20. You'll see people blow past you in the early and you'll be tempted to go with them...DON'T. Run your own race at your own pace.

Enjoy! there's nothing like your first marathon, just make sure to soak it all in and lock away somme goodies in your memory banks.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great race. I ran the 1/2 last year and I'll be on my bike cheering on a couple of friends this year. Crowd support is great (hope they won't be daunted by the weather), and the race is net downhill.

Good luck, race well.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you!

First marathon. Like the first of anything, it's the one you'll never forget. Make it a good one. It's all about pacing, pacing, pacing. You want to run those last six miles. Not Walk. Remember that early when you are feeling good and want to get going. It's all about what happens after 20 miles.

Good luck and have a great race!

Jim Sweeney

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone! I'll keep you posted!

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am volunteering for the marathon and I will be at a cheer station at around mile 13. Good luck.

Eric

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rain advice: Body glide or vaseline or bandaide your nipples.

If your shirt becomes totally soaked (even Coolmax) it might chafe big time. I thought this was silly until I ran my second marathon in the pouring rain (Cal International, Saccramento, 97) and I had scabs on my nips for a week. Looking around I saw I was not the only one. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [TB in MT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. I will certainly remember that!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its wet Lonestar you should use surgical tape instead of bandaids...just tape a big X over each nipple....bandaids come apart if its too wet.

And make sure you drink plenty...for some reason runners get this idea in their head that they can't dehydrate when its raining. DUUUHHHHHHH.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Lonestar!

My first marathon was just in December and had the dreaded "walk the last six miles". Legs just completely cramped up!

Hydrate and watch your pace... I use Duct tape for the nips!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [flatfootedfatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good luck Lonestar!

My first marathon was just in December and had the dreaded "walk the last six miles". Legs just completely cramped up!

Hydrate and watch your pace... I use Duct tape for the nips!

OOOOUUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!!!!

More harm than good????!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck lonestar! You never forget your first time!!! :)

D.
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [flatfootedfatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Hey, but you finished! Congrats! I knew there was one more use for duct tape I had not thought of! :-)

Thanks to EVERYONE for your support!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great time,

If it is raining you may wish to put vasaline on your feet
also make sure you dont overhydrate.

Lots of people (me incl) drink way to much befor and during the race and get relative hyponutremia (diluted electrolytes) and end up cramping badly.

race well and have fun
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [lefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the time I'm done with a marathon, the removal of duct tape is nothing compared to the ache of my legs. Actually allows you to focus on a discomfort elsewhere!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin is a great marathon. I've never done it, but a couple of people from my local club have done it. They raved about it.

I finished my first marathon this past Saturday. I went 4:15, which isn't great but I was pleased. I wanted to finish in under a 10:00 per mile pace. I was able to run the last 6 miles, though I did have some trouble between miles 23 and 25. I ran it with a friend of mine, and we walked a few of the aid stations. Other than that, we ran. It was a great experience. Take the advice you've been given so far. Pace yourself early on and don't get in a hurry. Make sure you Vaseline/Body Glide your underarms, crotch and feet. I covered my nipples with Band-Aids, but it wasn't raining Saturday. Use whatever will survive the rain. Chafed nipples are quite painful to deal with.

All in all, my marathon experience went very well. My feet and ankles took a big beating; I didn't know feet could hurt that bad. If you pace yourself and take care of the parts of your body that are prone to chafe and blister, you will be fine.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the rain gets bad...you will need a dry pair of socks..
You will prune and then blister severely!!!!
Put a pair in some aluminum foil or saran wrap and put it on your Fuel Belt.

All good advise here, but what the hell..i'll throw one in too.

I like to run my Marathon as a 20 mile long training run..first at zone 1 then maybe by 17 zone 2 and if you have it by 20.
Its a 10 K race baby.
Look good for the Brightroom folks!

Good Luck!

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wear loose running shorts then chafing from the leg seams at the inner thighs can be bad when the shorts get wet (sometimes sweat alone is enough) so I actually wear my tight tri shorts for anything over a half marathon, wet or dry. A lesson learnt the painful way.
Quote Reply
Re: My first marathon [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If the rain gets bad...you will need a dry pair of socks..
You will prune and then blister severely!!!!
Put a pair in some aluminum foil or saran wrap and put it on your Fuel Belt.

All good advise here, but what the hell..i'll throw one in too.

I like to run my Marathon as a 20 mile long training run..first at zone 1 then maybe by 17 zone 2 and if you have it by 20.
Its a 10 K race baby.
Look good for the Brightroom folks!

Good Luck!

Fish

Why don't you just bring an umbrella?

I've run several marathons in torrential rain and I've never had pruning or blistering on my feet. I'd pass on the spare socks.

John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Feb 11, 05 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I think about training for a marathon since I've never actually raced any longer than 10 kms or had a training run much beyond 2 hrs.

But then I look at my bike and think nah and go for a long ride instead. :)

Good luck with it.
Quote Reply