Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Corima Disc out of True
Quote | Reply
Pulled out the Disc last night for a TT this weekend and when I put it on I noticed it was slightly out of true. Is this common? I purchased it brand new 1.5 years ago and have only raced on it 4 times and the wheel has less than 400 miles on it. Is this normal? Is there anyway to fix it? Can I still ride it? Oh yea, it's definitely the wheel and not the tire. I can't remember even hitting any potholes with it. I think it may have been like this when I purchased it but I just didn't notice. It's probably about 1/8 of inch out of true.
Quote Reply
Re: Corima Disc out of True [newbie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An 1/8 inch is that bad, it's better than mine. I do not think that it can be fixed. Just adjust the brakes and go.

Regards,

Mike
Houston, Texas
Quote Reply
Re: Corima Disc out of True [newbie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most composite, molded or laminated wheels are out of true to a degree. As a practice, some manufacturers engrave the run-out amount on the inner circumference of the rim for future reference. If the wheel has deviated from that (acceptable) spec then there ahs a been a change that likely constitutes damage.

Some customers are under the impression that a wheel must be perfectly rue. It doesn't. It needs to be reasonably ture but should be perfectly round. If there is a "hop" in it that is a more serious problem. A little side to side run out- a little - is OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Corima Disc out of True [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, but what's generally accepted as "a little"? 1/8" - 3/16"?

Or should you just not worry about it until you can feel the wobble?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Last edited by: bryce_d: Feb 11, 05 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Corima Disc out of True [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually 1/8" is quite a lot out of true, that's .125". You would likely experience substantial braking problems with a wheel that much out of true. But it's also likely that your wheel is not really that out of true, if you mounted it on a truing stand equipped with a dial gauge you'd find that you may be way overestimating the amount of out of trueness.

Manufacturer's specs usually range from .020" - .030" for trueness. I have a disk I purchased second hand that's .042" out of true, or less than 1/16", and it's getting close to the limit of what I would be comfortable using. I recently bought a highly regarded spoked deep dish CF rimmed front wheel, and it came with less than .010" out of trueness (excellent) and .020" of hop (not so excellent IMHO given the list price of this wheel, but I'm anal about this stuff). An hour or so on the truing stand and I had it to less than .010" on both trueness and roundness, with very even spoke tension. Now I'm happier.

The real answer to your question is to adjust the brakes so that they don't rub, and make sure you can still get enough travel for good braking. Then take it out on the road and see if the out of trueness affects your braking. If you can still brake effectively, don't worry about the trueness. If you have to open up the brakes so far you can't get adequate travel, or if you experience grabbing that is enough to cause the wheel to lock up prematurely, then retire the wheel.
Quote Reply