Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SI Joint Problems
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any experience with sacroiliac joint problems? I injured mine last May and could barely stand up straight all last season. Hoped some down time in the offseason would help but it's still there. Any recommendations for treatment? What's worked for others, what hasn't?

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: SI Joint Problems [The Nome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sacro-iliac joint has a limited degree of movement in walking and other activities. It can get "locked up" and become hypomobile. Chiropractic treatments are very effective in treating SI joint conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: SI Joint Problems [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. How can you determine if it's hypomobile versus hypermobile due to ligament damage?

I found this in searching on the topic of SI Joint syndrome:

The strong ligaments that hold the joint together can become stretched, much the same way the ligaments in the knee can be stretched. This can cause some extra movement in the joint (small amounts of extra "give" in unusual directions). This can lead to inflammation and swelling inside the joint and or to overload of the ligaments
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the joint can be hypermobile also, but it's not nearly as common.

There is a motion palpation test for the SI joint that chiropractors use that will determine SI movement, but I can't find an url for it.
Quote Reply
Re: SI Joint Problems [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back from my Chiropractor today. I've had SI discomfort and pain alot of last season and now that I am doing far less, the problem is alot worse with leg involvement (tight hamstring, knee pain, and foot pain all on my left side). My Chiro thinks it is mostly related to a leg length problem.
Anyway, I seeing him and a PT weekly and trying to work on strengthening my psoas and hip flexor muscles. I also wear custom orthotics.
I really believe that the Chiro has helped alot. Is there anything else that I might want to consider?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have problems with my SI joint. It hurts most the morning after a long ride or the day after alpine skiing.

What's helped me:

regular chiro adjustments

Icing the joint at night

vitamin I (ibruprofen)

stretching the IT band, QL's (ask your chiro where these are), hamstrings, glutes

Use a physio ball to stretch your QL's

When you bend over, always set your core (squeeze it to protect your back)

These things have helped me but mine still really bugs me...

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had an MRI or a Catscan? I was misdiagnosed with an SI problem 4 years ago--was finally sent to have a scan (9 months later and barely walking) and it turned out that I had a L4-L5 central herniation. B/c it was a central herniation, I didn't have the nerve pain generally associatied with disc herniation. Surgery fixed the problem, but it did take me a while to get back to training again--mostly b/c I went into the surgery in such bad shape. If you can swing one, I would suggest and MRI or Catscan, just to rule anything besides SI trouble out.
Quote Reply
Re: SI Joint Problems [pedergraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have a herniated disk in the L3-L4 region. Happened back in college (long time ago) and it was bad for a couple of years after it happened and then got better to the point were basically it hasn't been an issue. I haven't gotten a new MRI and this pain/level 10 stiffness is more in the area of my SI joint. Pain and muscle stiffness/knots radiate down my right leg and up my back around the left scapula. I'm starting to walk more and more like the guy on the left side of the human evolution chart...a little more hair and I'll be cro-magnon man.
Quote Reply