Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doctor says OK to running
Quote | Reply
     Great news! This afternoon my doctor told me I can start running again as long as I start easy. I went right to the HS and ran 4 laps around the grass on the infield of the track: 10 minutes. Don't laugh, I'm thrilled! Give me three months (which I have) and I'll be ready for my short course season!

He also OK'ed me to return to work. I'll be back on monday, YIPPIE!

What a great day; I rode the bicycle trainer, swam and now I even ran. I'm a triathele again!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Feb 10, 05 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Doctor says OK to running [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, how sweet it is! Those first "baby steps" back from a serious injury are mighty fine, huh? So, heartfelt congratulations.....and many happy returns!

(By the by, what was it that had put you on the shelf for a while?)
Quote Reply
Re: Doctor says OK to running [bigskies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
          I tore my pettella tendon in November. It took me a while to get it diagnosed. Then I dragged it out because I wanted to finish my job before being laid up. I work outdoors in NYC so I also wanted it be home for the worst of the cold weather. I had my surgery on Jan 3. The doc reconnected the tendon to the bone and also repaired a small maniscus tear. My company started calling this week to see when I'd be ready to work again.

So now I'm ready to rumble again! Thanks for asking.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - that sounds nasty. But that you had surgery on January 3 and handled a run today -- impressive! Hats off to your recuperative powers!
Quote Reply
Re: Doctor says OK to running [bigskies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
          I think it's really hats off to good PT. I'm up early this morning to get myself ready for work on monday. I got up at 5, but I'll need to get up at 4 to get in a short run in Manahatten once I get started.

Both knees are just as sore this morning. I guess that's good news, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OHHHHH BABY- you have me licking my chops! I see my surgeon on Monday and hopefully he'll release me from the God Aweful cast so i can start some PT and Swimming. I have been down since July, had surgery on Dec 22 and have been immobilized since. I know how you feel, it is great to hear about someone else on the road to recovery!!! Keep us posted how it goes over the next few weeks.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Doctor says OK to running [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
        Right now the best thing for me is an elliptical trainer. It let's me get a workout like running without the stress of running. I'm starting to love that thing. PT is everything. Good surgery without good PT is a waste of time. I did the elliptical this morning at PT for 20 minutes and I'll go over to the track and run on the grass again later. I just have to be careful but I know this will work out fine and I'll be racing this spring. Well late spring anyway.

What was your injury? It sounds much more serious than mine?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like we did simialr things with regard to our injuries in that we ignored then and put off repair. I broke the medial maleous of my right ankle. Basically it is the large lump on the inside of your ankle. By itself not a bad injury. But i kept running, racing and walking on like nothing was wrong. I found out is was broken in July so I stopped running and racing then. I tried a some less aggressive way to reapir the injury so I wouldn't miss work and I ended up with a non union. So I had two screws and a wire harness thing put in on Dec 22. When the doc opened me up he discovered that I had nearly severed the tendon that ran over the same spot where the fracture was. So i also had some major tendon repair done at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how'd you tear that thing? It had to be more than just overuse, right (said while rubbing my sore knee)?
Quote Reply
Re: Doctor says OK to running [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
        I've been a runner for 25 years and I've been a heavy construction carpenter for 35. My doctor says it's just life long wear and tear. I've been battling with injuries since I turned 50. Seems like every year it's something. I feel like when you have an old car that you keep putting money into. First the muffler, then the water pump, then brakes............ Every year, I just want to get through the season. Feels like I should have just gotten a new body!

Quote Reply