Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longest Training Ride for IM
Quote | Reply
What's your longest ride before IM? The training plan I'm following has a 6 hour bike / 1 hour transition run. Plan is designed for a person who has up to 20 hours per week training time. This is the only 20 hour training week.

Is it long enough? This will be my first full. I'm only going into it with the expectation to finish the race with a smile on my face. I finished a smile on my face 1/2IM at 5:20 with a 2:48 bike split.

Would a 7 or 8 hour bike with a shorter transition run be more beneficial? How about more 6 hour rides. The plan I'm following only has a single 6 hour ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Training Ride for IM [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My long bike to prepare for Ironman is going to be a 112 mile "time trial"--56 miles each way on an o/b course that I pre-measure.The pace will be to survive. I will then transition for a hour run--just keeping the legs moving. Also, I will be doing some organized centuries w/ all the aid, followed by some easy runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done two IMs so far and my longest rides were about 6.5 hours. I imagine I did 3 or so of these leading up to each IM (with a T run) and a bunch of 5-5.5 hour rides. I've felt comfortable on the bike leg of each IM but self-destructed in the heat on the marathon. I still have a ton to figure out regarding IM training but I felt very prepared for the bike leg with this type of training.

-Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to go over 6 hours. You can do some of these 6 hour rides, but don't forget to increase the stimulus, that is, add some race pace and above race pace intervals.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My longest ride was 137 miles, followed by a 1h15m run.

My typical saturday for about 6 weeks was 6 hour ride, all with 1h brick runs. Running LSD the next day for 3h. Rest monday - or slow swim. All rides were solo, or with buddy but no drafting, always in aero bars. Train as you race.

It was my first IM so I was a little "scarred" of what to expect - the overdistance solo ride followed by a run gave me confidence leading into the race.

Now training for my 2nd IM in 7 weeks. I am doing less frequency of the long rides (no time to train!) but will probably manage 4 at 6 hours.

Depends on your goals to - for me I need to have done at least 3 x 6 hour rides with brick runs to feel mentally confident. If know many who never did a 100+ mile ride before an IM and they finshed with a smile on their face at the finish. But they are not necessarily smiling leading up to the final miles of the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before my first IM I did two 220k rides, with 180k at IM pace, with a 12k run off the bike.

For this one I am currently training for I have done four 180k rides, the last two with 90 min runs.

Tomorrow, a 3k swim, with a 150, then a 2 hour run. Then it's time to cut back volume.

I think for your first you need to feel that you can make the distance. Also, I have found that 'something' happens to your body/mind after about 150 that needs to be experienced before race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My longest was 130, with a couple of centuries and several 70-90 mile rides before that. As another poster mentioned, how you train and what, specifically, you do depends on your goals. In my case, I wanted to finish IM 'comfortably', and within a reasonable time. Doing a 130 mile ride on a Saturday, and a 21 mile run the next morning, gave me that comfort level.

For reference, my best 1/2 time was 5:25(relatively flat bike), and my IM time was 11:55(IMLP). I think that if you finished a 1/2 in 5:20, you could probably finish an IM with little trouble, assuming that you fuel properly and dial back your pace accordingly.

I don't know that doing too many overdistance rides is necessary. It builds your confidence, but it also impacts your ability to train due to the required recovery time. If you have a plan that you are working with, stick with it. Second-guessing your plan and doing additional workout is a very common practice, and one that leads to no good.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before IMF in '99 I did a solo 9.5 hour ride 183 miles across lower Michigan. All the Tom D. fans will be happy to note that this was my first ride after Tom did a fitting and made some changes to my position. I felt great at the end, which is a testament to a good fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that's the 30-week plan from "beIRONfit" ... then I'm doing the same plan (looks similar).

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Training Ride for IM [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is... and I'm not sure why I'm even questioning the training plan.

Last year I did the same plan preparing for my first HIM. I just lowered the Saturday and Sunday workouts hours, but did have 1, 6 hour ride when I went out with a bunch of guys training for IMLP.

I'm still thinking from a confidence builder more 6 hour rides would do me better, but I'll modify based on how I'm feeling come August & September.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Training Ride for IM [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to do a couple of 8 hour rides to prep for IM as I'm starting to convince myself that once you develop a foundation in swimming and running, you have to go a step farther in cycling to ensure you exit the bike w/ fresh legs. (Or, at least, not dead legs.)

Just courious, in your 9.5 hour trek, were you self supported on a solo ride or was it a ride group or event? Last year, I always ran out of water on my long rides into the country and often had to turn around and head back to refill. Some of the rides in Tennessee and North Georgia are just farmland and mountains for as far as you can ride. What was your solution for water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st Ironman - Generally the consensus is that you need to ride for time, roughly the time that you will be on the bike. So fo many, this would max out at 6:00 - 6:30

Subsequent Ironman Races: You should build up to 112 miles and then complete a couple of 112 mile rides, with as few stops as possible.

Performance/ Veteran Ironman: You need to focus on 4 - 5 hours rides where you are spending large chunks of the ride at IM race pace or slightly faster. Depending on back-ground and length of season, there may be no need to even ride the full 112 distance.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My longest rides prior to an IM are really more so based on time. I try to get a certain amount of 4 to 5 hour rides and a couple 6 hour rides in. Some of those are followed by transiotion runs, but not all of them.
Cheers,
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride as far as you can and still have adequate recovery from the effort so as not to detract from the other two disciplines....especially the run training.

It's nice to have a proven program to follow, if you can follow it, and if it gives you confidence. But, your goals are simply to maximize your workload at an appropriate level of effort, followed by adequate recovery, so your body and mind are gradually acclimated to the demands of the race. Like SAC said, especially for a first timer, that doesn't involve trying to duplicate race day, especially with monster bricks. The reason is that the recovery required is too long. Gordo, et.al., may be able to pull of giant days, but, you and I ain't Gordo. But, if you're recovering from you 6 hour rides with no problem, it's probably OK to ride longer, if you'd like. Just don't get crazy with it, or run so much afterward.

Your program will get you across the line with a successful race, if you are able to follow it, practice the nutrition part right, and do it all similarly to practice during the race.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Training Ride for IM [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Before my first IM I did two 220k rides, with 180k at IM pace, with a 12k run off the bike.

For this one I am currently training for I have done four 180k rides, the last two with 90 min runs.

Tomorrow, a 3k swim, with a 150, then a 2 hour run. Then it's time to cut back volume.

I think for your first you need to feel that you can make the distance. Also, I have found that 'something' happens to your body/mind after about 150 that needs to be experienced before race day.

Yeah right! ...

I do a 3.8 swim, followed by a 180km bike and a 42km run... all at IM-pace :-))

No, seriously. If you can do 180km at race pace plus a 12k run, then there´s something wrong with your race pace.

And, 3-150-2h run sounds like overdoing it to me, too.

No offence, just my oppinion.

Axel
Quote Reply