Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN NZ Race Expo Vendors and Prices
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know which vendors and/or stores will be at the IM NZ race expo? How are their prices? I am debating whether to bring things like Endurox, Powerade Endurance powder, Clif bars, and Gatorade powder or buy at the expo. Korean Air has a 20 kg checked baggage limit (total), plus a carry on bag limit as well, so I am pretty limited on poundage.

Barefoot
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NZ Race Expo Vendors and Prices [barefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bring anything you need with you. I know many of the products we have, they can't get there which is why I'm bringing a supply of stuff for friends there.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like a ridiculously low weight limit for an international ticket. Do you mean you can check two bags, but the total weight of the two of them must be less than 44 lbs? Can't be enforced if it is...my wife has flown Korean Air many times, and she typically has two very large suitcases with here, each one would go over 50 lbs easily. She has never had a problem. When I flew NZ airline I had to remove some of the items from my bike case due to weight...it was limited to like 75lbs though. The only reason I can think that you would be flying Korean Air is that you are leaving from Seoul for some reason, so maybe they have different policies for flights that don't compete with US carriers.

As for NZ, be prepared for prices to be high by US standards, make sure you bring more than one spare tubular. I'd bring the items I plan to use during the race itself.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN NZ Race Expo Vendors and Prices [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

The weight is correct for intra Pacific/Asia travel on most airlines. For Korean Air about 44 lbs total for 1 or two bags for flights originating here in Seoul and within Asia. International travel is the standard two 70 lb bags for a 140 lb total from here to the US. I was flying from Bangkok to Seoul after Laguna Phuket and ran in to the same issues. I played dumb which was easy because I didn't realize the assinine limit and eventually the Thai Air manager said ok since they had sponsored the race. This was after some pretty good arguing with her evil underling, crossloading luggage in the middle of the floor, and putting anything heavy in my carry on (they weighed that too). I think I can bring a carry on and laptop/purse so might have to use my transition bag as a murse.

Barefoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. So let's say I decide to do Ironman Korea and fly into Seoul (my mother in law lives there), and then I get a flight later to Cheju-do on a local airline. Should I expect a hard time with my ~70lb loaded bike case? Maybe I better plan to do the train/ferry thing (or drive it, yikes!).

My wife is planning to fly between Seoul and Bangkok, I'll have to give her the heads up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure. Need to check the specific airlines and the earth's alignment with the moon. Business and 1st class folks are authorized more, but I won't pay the higher prices for them. I did Ironman Korean and flying from Seoul to Jeju I don't even recall them even looking at my bags which where 60 or so for TriaAll3sports case and probably 40 for a second bag. Not sure if the difference was because it was a domestic flight, but it had a buslike atmosphere. Several locals had bikes and one dude brought his race wheels in a wheel bag on the plane with him and sat with them on his lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically flights starting or ending in the US get about double the baggage allowance of other flights.

That's why when I used to fly from UK to NZ I would always go via LA :-)
Quote Reply