Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee) [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
docfuel and fedor 123 give you what you need to know, but each patient is different as some last weeks, and some are symptomatic for months to years. In my experience, the best "cure" is rest and the passage of time. The bump, as you've seen, will likely persist into adulthood but unless occupational plans are for him to be a priest or a muffler mechanic, the effect will be more cosmetic than functional.

John

Can you, or anyone else, comment on surgical options to correct OSD? The data suggest a virtually risk-free operation, I'm more interested in recovery time and, if necessary, post-op therapy. I haven't been able to find any data on that and I'm not seeing my doc for a few weeks.

Like most of you I developed OSD in my youth. I can run and ride with no problems but I can't kneel to save my life, and it's not something I paid any attention to (even though the bumps are very apparent) until this past week while I was helping my dad put a new roof on his garage. I'm a few days shy of 25 so I figured if I'm going to authorize any corrective procedures, now's a good time.

---------------------------

No fancy slogans, just results.
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee) [chuckDiesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck - I'm a pretty conservative guy and would almost always recommend against an operation for this issue. Many adults have the leftover somewhat odd appearance of their knee but pretty close to zero have it "fixed." Although I can't speak for others, I've had a long and full tri career, still managed to nab the age group in my last race, and if I had Osgood I most definitely not have surgery. But that's just one opinion. You might run it by rroof as he usually gives a thoughtful response.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee) [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Dr. Post here. Unless your "bump" is unusually large from your childhood OSD, I'd live with it as well. Will still likely remodel some anyway since you are only 25. You are in Cleveland I see and the sports med dept. at the Cleveland Clinic is very good (they sponsor a good cycling team as well). Might want to hit them up for an opinion (or 2).

Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just jumping in here. My 13-year old triathlon-mad son just got diagnosed with OS, right before his season is about to start (first race in just over a week).

Thankfully he's already up for stretching/strength and icing. But he also needs new running shoes (growth spurt, what growth spurt?). I had initially been planning on getting him some light-weight race shoes, but wondered if they would exacerbate the problem and should go with more supportive/cushioned shoes on the basis that the extra weight will be offset by less pain?

Also, is there anything to suggest that short intensive running is any better/worse than long/slow distance work?

cheers

Simon
Quote Reply
Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee) [SpiderJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had it throughout middle school. Was diagnosed during basketball season while experiencing some serious knee pain playing in practices and games. I have pretty large bumps to this day that don't cause any pain anymore. In order to keep playing growing up I would brace both knees (very tight and long compression sleeve) to relieve the tension and then ice consistently. It worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpiderJ wrote:
Just jumping in here. My 13-year old triathlon-mad son just got diagnosed with OS, right before his season is about to start (first race in just over a week).

Thankfully he's already up for stretching/strength and icing. But he also needs new running shoes (growth spurt, what growth spurt?). I had initially been planning on getting him some light-weight race shoes, but wondered if they would exacerbate the problem and should go with more supportive/cushioned shoes on the basis that the extra weight will be offset by less pain?

Also, is there anything to suggest that short intensive running is any better/worse than long/slow distance work?

cheers

Simon

Short intensive running will put more stress on the quads, exacerbating the problem, slower/longer can sometimes be easy to develop poor form which won't help. Some mid speed/tempo running will get him through, just not too much. Add lots of stretching. I wouldn't worry about light weight race shoes at this age yet, leave them for when his foot growth slows a bit otherwise the risk of foot tendon issues will also be higher for the same reasons as he now has osgoods. Just get him in the pool more, add in water running if this doesn't give him any pain.(pendulum legs, not toughing the bottom so the quads are not working) His run speed sets can be done in the pool too so he doesn't feel like he is missing out and can really push the lactate fitness here. Obviously working on time not distance, ie one minute ten as fast as can, one minute easy replacing 400m sprints etc. If the water running and swimming don't give him any pain he should still be able to make it through his races with the fitness from these. Osgoods is one of those issues that eases and flairs with growth spurts so the water running skills will no doubt help get him through the next few years.

]
Last edited by: chrisb12: Mar 23, 19 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it from many moons ago. Late bloomer basketballer who did stadiums with leg weights so I could "dunk" although only 5'9". No major problems in my youth as tuberosity became prominent to deal with all distress despite still going thru growth spurt. No debilitating pain.

Had meniscus issues in mid 50's, and all the docs did double take when they saw my OS.

To better understand this issue I read Dr. Kelly Starrett's website post (Mobility WOD website). Basically with OS there could be some alignment/muscle imbalances that probably need lifelong attention if running and jumping are major athletic feats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next