Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Assault on Mt. Mitchell [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody here have a power file to look at for this race? Or maybe someone could fill me in regarding what the power requirements might be like to make a strong showing at this race. I'm trying to figure out how to simulate this in training, and include the drafting/relatively minimal climbing of the first half of the race. 3 hours around 200w-250w then 2-3 hours around 275w-325w? I really have no idea, so it wouldn't take much to expand on what I know ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Assault on Mt. Mitchell [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone to the freewheelers website and didn't see any links to a forum or any type of place where people would be exchanging tickets to the top or putting a request in for a ticket. Where exactly is this forum people are talking about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sojourner,

Tickets are just now going out in the mail. I'm sure most folks still have good intentions about doing the ride. The tickets will gradually start going up for sale as the Spring progresses and people start falling away from their intended training plans or have other things come up that give them a good excuse not to kill themselves on the mountain. Just keep monitoring that site. The exchanges will begin soon.

As for power output requirements ... can't help you there. Don't know if anyone will be able to. As has been stated repeatedly, it's a different route this year than ever before ... and 10 miles longer.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have done this ride for 9 or so years and renew our ticket to the top to stay in the loop. However, our fitness (due to health issues) is wayyy behind where it normally is by this time of year that will ensure we are strong enough to accomplish this ride. Therefore, we may possibly sell our tickets this year. We'll just have to see how thing pan out in the next 1 1/2 months. If you want to keep a mental note to check with me down the road, I may have 2 tickets to sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, sorta trying to hide this in with your Mt. Mitchell post (BTW, I did this ride in 1987 or 88...the last 27 miles are uphill with the exception of one screamingly steep downhill that you don't want to go down, because you just have to climb right back up where you started. This would be a great ride for you if you can swing it!), you know how you mentioned the "coast" at the bottom of the pedal stroke while standing on PCs? Maybe eliminating that coast is another reason climbing with Rotors is improved....because Rotors are accelerating the pedal through that coasting spot, thereby minimizing it's effect. So, as I "feel it", that's three possible explanations for better climbing: first is minimizing the arc of less power at the top of the stroke, second is better biomechanical efficiency by slowing the stroke at the sweet-spot in our extensor's firing, and third is getting the pedal more quickly through the "coasting" spot at the bottom. Just some thoughts...hope your experimentation is yielding usable information to you!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sojourner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about the glide seemingly not un-efficient. Weird syntax, huh? I think about it like starting the next push down before picking up, then picking up faster than normal so you can begin THAT push down. It's also the reason I stated a couple of years ago that: A PC rider might be faster uphill on PC's...because there is no wasted power from the pushing leg spent getting that gliding leg through that pause at the bottom. I certainly concur that the flat speed is faster on the Rotors. I'm also faster on either PC's or the Rotors going uphill compared to regular cranks. Anyway, keep working and reporting!

Quote Reply
Re: Assault on Mt. Mitchell [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, so much for Mount Washington. I come into work, go to register, and they have hit their 600 mark. Over 115 people registered in the last 24 hours. DAMN! They don't disclose when they'll have a waiting list to register to either, only that there will be one in the future. That's convenient. No trading, selling, or exchanging registration without the RD's consent. What a bust. Maybe I can still get into that big one in Colorado. Hmm...Why is it such a bitch to get into a good hillclimb? There is obviously demand...I wonder what it takes to host something like this, there are several great climbs here in SoCal.

*edited...just got on the waitlist at bikereg.com, in case anybody else is wanting to, go there.*
Last edited by: Sojourner: Feb 11, 05 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you get in!

Quote Reply

Prev Next