Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is POSE Running?
Quote | Reply
Anyone care to give the Cliff Notes version of POSE running. Anyone use it? How do you "learn" it?

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has all you need http://www.posetech.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
POSE running is running while using oakley sun glasses with built-in MP3, a forerunner GPS system on your left wrist, a POLAR 720 on the right, and Nike trainers with hydraulic suspension on your feet.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff notes? Well, that's not an easy question...

Pose is a specific technique for running... the technique developed around a concept of balance... where the balance reqiures the legs to move in a predominately up and down motion with forward motion produced by the push off from the foreward portion of the foot.

Well, that's my take on the method... how others may describe it might be different (and, it probably should be different since almost everyone that has a Pose like running technique seems to develop differences that seem to apply to their bio-mechanical differences).

Look at the sight and get the video... that's really the only way to understand the Pose running method.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, I have the same visions in my head. I remember hearing once that changing ones running stride is not a good idea, any truth to that?

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search the posts. There are two good long threads from last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

That is a good question. If you believe any/almost all of the physiology research done in the last fifty years or so, then your thoughts are correct. People in general (80-90% of the time) find their own most economical running style/stride length. This means that when you put them on a treadmill and follow O2 uptake, you find that having the person do things that they do not normally and naturally do causes them to use more oxygen at the same speed. In other words, they become less economical. In that sense, there probably is not much sense in messing with your running style in a major way if you have been doing it for any length of time.

(That said, the goal in a race is not to be most economical, but to have the best performance irrespective of economy. In other words, people generally speed up by taking longer strides, which is less economical because it uses more oxygen. However, if it gets you to the finish faster, then it was a good strategy.)

Tim Noakes (physiologist from south africa) published a paper that showed the POSE system does, in fact, cause you to change you stride by placing more load on your calf muscles/achilles and taking some off of your knees. No surprise there, but it is always good which science confirms something you think :^) I guess if someone had recurrent knee injuries, it might be worth a try. By the same token, I'd be nervous about encouraging someone with achilles issues to mess around with this. I get into this stuff a little more in my book.

For what it is worth, though, I don't think it is a very good idea to actively try to run more off the mid and forefoot than happens naturally. As a physician, I see many more injuries in people who run more off the forefoot than I do with people who run more rearward. (Almost everyone heel-strikes some when running. It is normal for most people.)

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is like that Heisman trophy pose.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do a very low shuffle when I ran long distances...my heel would barely clear the ground. It was pretty fast, and it seemed to be efficient...I could run 6 minute miles for about 3 miles at a time. BUT, it required my lower back to twist back and forth. A lot. And, the rearward stretch would begin to hurt my Sartorius muscles (or, what I think are my Sartorius muscle sites). So, I got sore in my lower back and front of my upper thigh/hip if I ran much more than 5 miles doing the shuffle. I gradually changed to a Pose-like style, and within 6-7 months, I ruptured my plantaris tendon. As I recovered from that injury and began to run again, the other one gave the same prodromal signs, so I tore it on purpose in the off-season to give it time to heal.

I can say that when I'm running long distances (long to me means anything more than 6-7 miles), I now generally do a shorter, more Pose-like style of stride the great majority of the time, but, I insert my old shuffle-style periodically to give myself a change. I'm always surprised that every time I change from one style to the other, I speed up for a few minutes...so, it seems it's a valid strategy for me to use.

Also, I THINK most heavier people will find it more difficult to do the Pose-type style, unless it is your normal running style, simply because it is so tough on your lower leg...and bigger people probably do well to minimize those pounding forces with a little softer foot-strike.

I'm not a biomechanical expert, so this may have all been BS, but, I'll leave it to the experts to correct me if needed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your point about heavier runners...they definitely seem to have more trouble with POSE/forefoot running. I have not seen *a lot* of patients who run with the POSE style per-se, but bigger people and forefoot running, in my experience and that of my surgeon colleagues, do not mix well.

Sprinters are another story entirely :^)

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heck...i just try to get my stride to look like fast karl's and i'm all set

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: What is POSE Running? [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have changed my running style to a more POSE position from a shuffle (I used to stub my toes regularly). It damn sure made my calves SORE for quite a while, but my thinking in doing so, was that the calf muscle is the densest/strongest springiest muscle in your legs and uses less oxygen than other muscles while doing the same work. So it's more economical for your body. Plus it finally gave me some calf definition. ;)

Re: What is POSE Running? [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not sure it has anything to do with efficiency or oxygen use, but I can't argue with calf definition :^)

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply