Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New compex users?
Quote | Reply
Since I started the post about a month ago about a question about the compex stimulator, I wanted to do a followup on what everyone that has since purchased one thinks of it so far. I know I didn't purchase mine through slowtwitch and the discount(I had a friend that got me a new one of ebay a little cheaper), but anyways, what are your thoughts on the product thus far? I know I am very impressed with it thus far. I seem to feel nice and relaxed as though I really had done nothing the previous day. The biggest user of it thus far has not been me but rather my dad. He has fallen in love with the thing since he put his back out while removing snow. Let me know what your thoughts are and how frequently you have used it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very happy that I made the purchase! I have not used it as frequently or extensively as I planned on but I know that I will as my training intensifies. I have only used the "Active Recovery" program on my quads and shoulders and I agree that the feelings of muscle fatigue are removed.

Have you checked out the articles on the e-caps site related to Compex? The articles contain what I considered to be useful usage information.
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [mike419] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, as well, have only used the Active Recovery phase and have found it to be very helpful after hard bike and run workouts. I would like to use some of the other functions but find them to be a little intimidating. I am also not quite sure how to fit the programs into my current training program. One very interesting thing is the idea of developing some of the smaller muscles in your lower legs to prevent some agrevating and on going injuries. However, again this makes me nervous that I am getting into a Physical Therapy area that I know nothing about. So, overall opinion is the product is great for Active Recovery. Future potential... Enormous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this product review over at Gordowold.

With many people ramping up their training in terms of hours and intensity, I thought I would share some thoughts about my new training toy, the Compex Muscle Trainer. As people look for ways to help them reach the next level, I think a muscle stim unit would be a good addition to the arsenal especially for athletes whose training schedule requires that they put together back to back hard efforts (more on that in a moment) on a consistent basis.

A disclaimer, I don't sell these things or profit in any way from their sale, nor does anyone I know. There is lots of good information about the science and efficacy of electro muscle stim on the Hammer Nutrition website and in the public domain.

The Fitness model comes with three programs -- Endurance, Resistance and Active Recovery (the Sports model has Warm-up, Strength and Explosive Strength programs). The basic science is that the machine channels electrical stimulation to strategically placed electrodes causing a given muscle group to contract. The effect on the contracting muscles is a function of the contraction intensity (a function of the strength of the electrical current), contraction time (a function of the intensity of the electrical current) and the rest interval between contractions. As the electrical current (measured in Hz) increases and the rest interval reduced the effect trends more towards strength training vs. endurance training as more fast-twitch muscle fibers are recruited.

The Good News:

The good news is that if you only buy the Compex for the Active Recovery program, the unit will pay for itself. Over the course of an hour you can run three Active Recovery programs (quad, hamstrings, glute) that have a similar effect of a solid massage. You can even up the amps to get that deep tissue feeling. The ability of the Compex to help clear lactic acid from major muscle groups is quite impressive and would be very valuable to someone who has to do back to back long ride/long run days and/or during a period of high intensity training.

In addition to the Active Recovery Program, the Endurance program would be great for maintaining muscular strength during the off-season without having to do any impact exercises or finishing off training days that were interrupted by weather. Finally, the stim machine is great for leveling muscle imbalances as you can direct a stronger and more intense current to weaker muscles.

The ability of the stim machine to recruit all your muscle fibers is rather impressive and the unit has enough functionality to suit even the strongest triathletes.

The Not So Good News:

While the vast majority of my views regarding the Compex are positive, there are a few things worthy of pointing out in order to be balanced.

First, the Compex relies on electrodes that need to be replaced every 15-20 sessions (less if you move them around a lot). A set of electrodes at bulk prices are $18. Still cost effective but don't think you buy the machine and that is all you will ever have to pay for. If you become a devotee you can sign up for and auto-replenishment program for your electrodes.

Second, the Endurance program is long -- 50 - 55 minutes. As such if you want to work multiple muscle groups, you need to have some serious time on your hands. It’s hard to justify three hours of muscle stim when you can do a three hour ride.

Finally, while you are getting the muscular benefits of training you clearly are losing out on the cardio benefits that even a recovery workout can provide.

In sum, good produce, clear tangible benefits, but certainly not a magic bullet.
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryan,

As long as you are not overly hairy, you can actually get away with using the electrodes up to 30 times or so. I for one wanted to see how long I can get away with not replacing em before i had too!

Also, this is actually kida a cool tidbit for everyone that is using a Compex, The FDA just approved them to be able to say that they are "The ultimate steriod alternative" well at least I think that is cool considering how anal the FDA is sometimes!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's funny that you mention that. i went right for the clippers/razor before i put those things on me for the first time. what i was unsure of is what constitutes a "session" as they say the electrodes are good for 15 "sessions". hey, i 'm cheap, i will stretch those puppies if i can.
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [swimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, you are avoiding what the FDA considers physical therapy hertz. Your compex operates below 20 and above 50 hertz A TENS unit that a physical therapist uses operates mostly between 20 and 50 hertz. That zone, according to the FDA requires a prescription, operating below and above is only geared for healthy muscle tissue. The stim you get at a PT or Chiro is for rehabilitative purposes, the compex is designed and geared for healthy tissue. So no need to be worried!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consider a session when they are one for 40-50 minutes, so for the AR and potentiation, well you get ALLOT of usage. I got them good up to 30 sessions using mostly the strength and active recovery programs which are about 20-30 min each depending on if you do a warmup or not-

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my compex sport a couple of weeks and like it. I'm still on the first set of electrodes and on the first battery charge which is amazing. I don't think it works as well as a massage but it seems to work. We've just been starting up the speedwork sessions and it helps with recovery. I do an entire leg at a time, three etrodes on the quads, 2 hamstring, and 2 calf. But the best part is on my back when it gets tight. A nice active recovery set as I fall asleep, heaven. I set the alarm for 30min, wake up and take off the pads and I'm all good.

Definetely reccomended. Note, I am sort of sponsored by Hammer Nutrition which distributes Compex in the US. I had to pay for my unit, but not full price. It was still pretty expensive though so I'm glad I'm getting some good use out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai,

Hammer Nutrition doesn't distribute them in the US. They may be A distributor/dealer, but Compex Technologies Inc in Minnesota is The distributor throughout the US-

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'Day all from a long time lurker from down under who finally has something worthwhile to ad to the forum...

Re replacing electrodes every 15-20 uses.

I've had my Compex for 3 years now and am still using the same 4 sets of pads I bought with the unit. Keep them in the fridge and get yourself a bottle of ultrasound gel (or any water based lubricant) and the pads last and last and last.......

I use my machine daily but even after all this time tend to use it mainly for capiliarization and active recovery work. I don't know how much I've saved on massage in that time (only had 1 so I guess thousands) and to make it even better my health insurance gave me back $1000 on the purchase cost (which was AUD1,300).

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the optimum setting for active recovery mode? At first, I was a little nervous and only set it on about 15. But now that I've used it several times, I'm up to about 25 or 30 from the start. 30 feels pretty intense to me...

Thanks Jason, and thanks for the great deal!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy you are welcome!

There really isnt an "optimal" setting for AR. As you use it, you adapt to the higher levels. If 30 feels intenese to ya, stay there until you can again move up a level. It will go as high as 100, but it gets substantially more intense at the higher numbers. ive been using the AR since August, and I keep it hovered around 35-40 which works for me.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jason, sorry about that. I guess they are "my" distributer and the main company pushing them in Hawaii.

Hmm, I was wondering about jsut using electrode gel but then the pads wouldn't really "stick" anymore and I'd have to do it lying down instead of while I'm working at my desk. Is my assumption correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well Im gonna try and use the suggestion that Raccoon said about the fridge and see if that works- might be a good way of extending the life in em, but not sure on the adhesivness, which you would need when sitting at a desk or during the strength program.

On a funny note, I was just using my Compex and during the active recovery phase I decided (like an idiot) that I wanted to move one of the electrodes, peeled it up and bam! a nice jolt thru my hand and arm, my wife nearly fell off the bed she was laughing at me so hard!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Hmm, I was wondering about jsut using electrode gel but then the pads wouldn't really "stick" anymore and I'd have to do it lying down instead of while I'm working at my desk. Is my assumption correct?[/reply]

If you want to use ultrasound gel while sitting / lightly moving, just stick the gelled pads on and then wrap them with a tensor.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My chiro has pads he rigged by taping the original electrodes to sponges he keeps damp. He then either tapes them on or places them on your back as you lay face down with a hot pack on top to hold them against your skin. This is with a clinical stim unit, not the compex.

So I guess I could get some gel and sports tape teh compex pads down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any adhesion trouble using ultra-sound gel.......it's a bit sticky.

I apply the gel to the area that I'm going to apply the pad to.......quad etc and just whack a cold electrode on it (that's the toughest part) and off you go. After they've been 'on the gel' the pads seem to absorb a bit and you won't need to apply gel to yourself the next time you use the pads.

This was a tip that I got from the Aussie distributor when I bought my unit, a couple of mates do the same thing and we've all still got our original electrodes...........just keeping the electrodes in the fridge helps prolong them but they lose their adhesion and don't carry the current as well......you can end up with some nasty burns on your legs and the programs become EXTREMELY painful........I haven't had this problem since given 'the tip' which I'm passing on.....

I did buy one set of new electrodes at IMOZ last year because I felt slack when I bumped into the guys at the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the compex come with detailed instruction on where to place the electrodes or is it just guess work on the part of the user?

They do sound very cool though.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it comes with a booklet detailing where to put the electrodes for each body part. It also comes with a DVD explaining placement as well.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compex wants $20 for 4 electrodes!

Has anyone tried alternative electrodes, such as http://www.rajala.com/...?Supplies:Electrodes ?

By buying 2x2 electrodes, the price approaches $1 an electrode- thats OK. The only problem might be that the 2x4 electrodes only have one "pigtail", where as the compex ones have two- but, why not just use two 2x2s next to each other- this way you only need to stock one size.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [amb18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they look like they might be the ticket... Yeah, I don't see any problem with using two smaller electrodes instead of a larger one. But then what do I know...
Quote Reply
Re: New compex users? [amb18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy them from E-CAPS/Hammer Gel for $15 -- check out http://www.e-caps.com

FWIW, using one 2x4 instead of two separate 2x2's will enable you to stim multiple groups at the same time (such as quads & calves, or hammys and glutes).
Quote Reply