Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

buy new bike
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Am doing my first ironman in July and only ever used a road bike bvefore - even in races I have got aerobars put on but never really used them. As my bike is a bit old now I want to upgrad to around the €1500 mark. I am a heavy set guy and am not overly flexible. With this in mind should I buy a tri bike or a road bike and get tri bars put on them (and learn to train with them this time). My previous bike cost €350 so hopefully i will see an inmprovement.

I am living in Ireland and am going to buy the bike over the net as this is quite an expensive country with costs 50 tp 100% higher tham USA shops.

I have come across racycles - any other net shops u know of.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

rgds,

Derek
Quote Reply
Re: buy new bike [delboy223] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK Mr Trotter my advice to you would be (in order)

1) Get the right size bike.

2) Probably get something that allows you to be in a forward position.

3) Find a postion that is as aero as your body allows comfort wise.

Once you have the right size bike (and by all means save some dollars by shopping on line but only buy online when you know exactly what you need in relation to point 1.) Spend some of that extra money you saved by getting a proper bike fit done by someone that knows what they are doing. Be warned - this may not be too easy - I would ask others on this forum if they could recomend a good fitter in your area. I have seen bikes set up for Ironman before by supposed experts that I just couldn't believe. ie aerobars higher than the seat.

As for online retailers - I live in Western Australia and buy most of my gear from www.totalcycling.com who are in Ireland. Fantastic guys, great service, often world best prices and best of all for you, you will be able to understand their accents.
Quote Reply
Re: buy new bike [delboy223] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proper fitting is #1. If you don't have a proper fitter, and you are just trying to guess...get something that has a wider range of acceptable positions at each size...Cervelo, Titan Flex, etc. PRACTICE your new position as much as possible before the ironman...that's too long a ride to fake, and if you're not comfortable, it can be a really long day. Best of luck to you!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply