Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

big swim weeks and getting fit for swimming
Quote | Reply
what do you consider a big week swimming wise?

at the moment id be lucky to do 20kms in a week and that would be considered 'big'.

when i was a swimmer, 10 years or so ago, that would be considred tapering. hah.

have done a 100km week, and most of the time big weeks would be around about 70kms or so.

and i wonder why i'm nowhere near as fit or fast these days. hah.

i guess for an im tho, swimming aint really a priority. still i sometimes wish i could swim as fast as i used to be able to. grrr.
Quote Reply
Re: big swim weeks and getting fit for swimming [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know how you feel. i was also a swimmer and my current 2500-3000 yard workouts are shameful. the thing with coming to tri from swimming is that even if you don't swim much, you'll still come out of the water in the top 10 percent or so. that makes it difficult to motivate myself to do much more than 4000 yards a few times a week. and since tri de-emphasizes swimming so much (in an IM, you spend an hour swimming and six on the bike, 'you' being some generic decent swimmer and decent biker) why do more? i wish swimming were a bigger part of races. even olympic races have a 20 minute swim and a bike of more than an hour.

i don't know what the biggest week was when i was competing... probably around 80,000-90,000 yards or so.

a big week now is about the same for me as for you. maybe in a few months. i just got back in the water after a month travelling in europe. it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should talk with my mate john van wisse...once told me that after all the swimming he's done...if he swims 5k a week (one session) that's enough to get out of the water in 46-47' in an IM...once saw him do 40x100m on 1'10'' LCM...ouch...
Quote Reply
Re: big swim weeks and getting fit for swimming [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i recognise that name. did he go to the olympics?
Quote Reply
Re: big swim weeks and getting fit for swimming [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you will hate me, but I get much more swim time than you, relative to the rest of it. For example, my half splits are usually (mins) 40/170/120. So if you are a poor swimmer, you do get more swimming in....of course, it would be nice to spend even less time in the water....;

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope...he was a pro triathlete...then stopped because of serious knee problems...then is back...he was second in tassie behind luke bell and also 4th in taupo IM in 2001...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with 6-7,000yd a week and 10,000 is a ton. I am training for a 1/2 IM, though.

When I was 17, I remember putting in 10,000 a day (2 a days). And I sucked! I am not too much slower now, though. 5 sec./per 100 maybe.
Quote Reply