Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running question for guys...
Quote | Reply
so what do you guys wear under your long running pants/tights when you run outside in the cold? I'm assuming most of us run in the "not so tight" long running pants in cold weather (unless it is really cold, then bust out the tights) and i was wondering what you wear under them? I've always worn a traditional pair of tighty whities under mine, but am considering giving a pair the synthetic ones a try (they basically mirror the lining of running shorts, right?). I was thinking of trying to wear running shorts under them, but seems too bulky.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if its very cold you should invest in a pair of wind briefs; they will protect your valuable assets from potentially damaging frost bite.

Otherwise a regular pair of running shorts under my Sporthills.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a general rule, I avoid cotton at all costs when it comes to running. I just recently bought a pair of the Asics synthetics and they are great. Kind of expensive, but very comfortable. No chafing on a recent 20-miler.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never cotton.

Use either a pair of lightweight running shorts or "runderwear". You can find runderwear at roadrunnersports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the Craft S3 wind briefs. They're real comfy and great in the cold weather.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runderwear is great, no seams which is important in that general region.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got some great Duofold briefs - I even imported them off the net into Australia as they aren't available here. I think they were about $6 a pair versus $15-$20 if I could have found them in Aussie. No warmth but very comfortable, quick dry and plenty of support unless you are John Holmes - (of course the cold wind tends to ensure that large amounts of support aren't necessarily needed on cold winter runs!)
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear my tri shorts for the support and then Wind Pants/Tights over top. They are great as they double for cycling tights as well. The only drawback is that on the REALLY cold days the backs of my legs get a little chilly.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=668631&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=12699&bmUID=1107368210946
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was thinking of trying to wear running shorts under them, but seems too bluky "

Works great and adds warmth if you don't mind having a slightly puffy butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ran 10 miles in 4 degree temps (probably less with the wind chill) and although my bits were cold to the touch after the run, they were fine during it in just good old jockeys. i have some really nice hind cold weather tights though so that helps. by the way, the water in my fuel belt froze during the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm... I dunno. Move to Florida?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speedo suits work great, they're just lycra so they don't soak up sweat like cotton would. You can get grab-bag suits from many online swim outlets.

For really cold days just wear your tri shorts underneath, or invest in a pair of Nike Dri-fit shorts (like bike shorts without the padding.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should as RecortTi about this, I think he has some first hand experienc keeping stuff put away and protected
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either the windpants or for something that isnt that freezing (10-35F) use some compression shorts underneath, like from UnderArmour or Zyflex.

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pearl Izumi compression shorts as my base layer. Same as their tri short without the "chamois". I do all my running with these, unless the workout is a brick. Then I'm in my Pearl Izumi tri cycling shorts. Winter, Spring, Summer, & Fall base layer.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
running shorts or tight tights under loose tights on really cold days.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helly hansen or REI polypro briefs have worked well. Hind Drylete tights work really below about 45F, running shorts when it's warmer than that. Patagonia makes capilene thong undies if you're worried about panty lines.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [Spastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a collection of various brands of wind briefs as they are essential for XC skiing. My favorites are the Craft S3 Gunde Boxer. I find the boxer cut more comfy than the brief cut. Use 'em on cold runs all the time -- much better than bulky running shorts under tights and my eyeballs will freeze way before the other ones.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wind briefs? Oh christ, I dont know how you guys do it. I cannot fathom that "area" not getting air for a 20-mile run. Must be a bit gamey down there. This is definitely a reason to remain in Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [Race13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear basic, *cheap* poly wicking boxers. (they are the snug style, like jammers) I have 'em from numerous manufacturers, and they all work fine down to the high single digits F. (I haven't been a glutton for punishment to run outside in any colder weather than that. Yet.)

Running pants are sweet Nike dryfit ones the Mrs got me for Xmas this year, and they totally rock, so much better than tights. Not too warm, not too cool.

Never had a problem w/ Mister Johnson getting nippy. Disclaimer is that I also don't do mega-mileage runs this time of year (or ever, really), so I'm only out there for mebbe 45 mins max. Usually, if anything, it's my toes or nose or fingers that get cold, not Mister Happy and the Twins.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Feb 2, 05 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: running question for guys... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aside from the baked potato I just wear tights with no undies and a pair of windpants...

Mr. Johnson hangs in there pretty well..

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply