Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Base mile heaven
Quote | Reply
If you had your choice of locations in the western U.S. to put in some serious base miles over a 4-5 day period during February where would it be and why? Obvious variables include weather, route selection, vehicular traffic (preferably lack thereof), accessibility, cost, etc. I'm thinking somewhere in the Southwest like Tempe but am relying on the gurus here for some creative suggestions. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Base mile heaven [harlman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should clarify that we're talking about cycling base miles. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colorado... can't beat the scenerey

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Base mile heaven [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it'll be too cold in feb in colorado. especially if he wanted to do some of the hills along the front range.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Northern California great. Esp. North of San Francisco. Temp ranges from about 40 in the am's to around 60-65. Tons of roads that are empty. Great climbing in places, great cycling community, and SF is a fun city to visit. You may get a bit wet but I it has been sunny and beautiful for the last few weeks.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: Base mile heaven [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about southern Utah? I've heard the riding there can be pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Base mile heaven [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it'll be too cold in feb in colorado."

I'll think about that as I ride this weekend in the 60+ weather we're supposed to have.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and then you wake up the next day and it's 35 again. i've lived there. weather gets pretty unpredictable around this time. late march/early april are extremely annoying in that respect...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo...Both have been extensively used by Pro Cycling Teams for training camps in the past.

For an inexpensive option...Death Valley (just camp and ride in the heat).

I just returned from Hawaii where the riding was pretty good (I was at Pearl Harbor)...There are a lot of cheap airfare/lodging packages right now...Don't limit yourself to the mainland prematurely. This would also allow you to get a bunch of warm-weather swimming/surfing as well.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Base mile heaven [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh.... good point. No real consistency.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moab area in Southern Utah has a lot of nice rides. It can be hit or miss with the weather in the higher elevations, but there are a lot of nice rides in the area. Summertime is better here though, although a lot more tourists. We have a loop through the La Sal mountains that will kick your a**.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but once the weather turns for good(from my experience, usually the second weekend of may it's safe to say no more crap weather), there is no better places to train when looking at terrain and weather. summer is unbelievable there. spring is really nice as well, just always have to keep one eye on the weather report and pack for rapidly changing conditions...

are you in denver? have you done the ride up lefthand to ward(or jamestown--can't remember which is the farther one) across the peak to peak highway to where it hits a 'T' in the road and you can either go left to estes or right to lyons, back through lyons to the 36 and back to left hand? fantastic ride...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuscan Arizona - miles and miles and miles of riding. Some European teams have been known to have secret winter training camps there.

And you can eat great mexican food and drink margaritas after training!!
Quote Reply