Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor training area: It just got way out of control....
Quote | Reply
Two weeks ago I decided to buy one of those $369 TV/DVD/VCR all in one and set it in front of my trainer.

That was two cans of paint, a new floor, a new home theater, a new bike, two new trainers and a new computer ago. Oh yeah, and I had to re-wire the basement and put in new track lights.

Damn. It just got out of control. Now all I need is a new Computrainer and I'm good to go. That was about $10K ago.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I have to buy a new chair for down there too...

It will be sweet when its done though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this in your shop or in your house?

Seems you spend too much time at work to have this setup at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in my basement at home. I have to do something between 11:00 PM and 2:00 AM.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe I'll post some photos. We'll see how cool it looks when I'm done....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

All the A/V stimulation in the world is NOT going to keep me on an indoor bike trainer for more than 45 minutes. By the one hour mark I am usually going completely mad!

My trainer set up:

- Quickstand Trainer ( Free from a past sponsor)

- Towel on the floor ( $4.99)

- Discman cd player sitting on a table nearby and some headphones ( $49.99)

Thoughts of warm summer rides while on the trainer - priceless!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great and all, but what about the vacuum cleaner?
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I got it! Just today...

I'll post a review on the forum tomorrow.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my workout area (Pardon the sepia coloring. I was monkeying with the camera phone settings). This area also doubles as my living, dining, family, entertainment, guest room and office.

Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good, but it looks like you forgot the big fan.

http://www.grainger.com/...611767927&ccitem=

I have similar to this directly in front of my bike and rewired the controls so I can reach them without getting off. My wife gets upset with the sweat, but our ironing board is the best trainer side table I've found yet. Lots of surface area, light, portable, and adjustable height.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am now able to ride more than 45 minutes on the indoor trainer. It did cost me $1,000 to buy a computrainer. I bought it though a guy on this forum. The computrainer is new, so that may wear off after a while. I find the couses fun and riding with the pacer is a motivation. Also you get heartrate, power, cadance, speed, distance, and the spinscan. It was a great investment for me. I took a spareroom in our house and now have a dedicated training room. We have four children who are now grown and out of the house, so I have made good use of the srare room. Don.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Here is my workout area (Pardon the sepia coloring. I was monkeying with the camera phone settings). This area also doubles as my living, dining, family, entertainment, guest room and office. >>

Copious props for having your priorities right. P3 next to the Futon--love it. Please tell me this is a studio apartment.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you say "tax write-off"?
Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [DonL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big screen TV and DVD player are essential items for indoor training.

Cross referance the Favorite movie thread for movies to watch during training.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah - it is a 'modern' studio - a.k.a. a box just larger than a dorm room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy bought a truck too big for his garage (at an added expense of 5K) so that we could set up the bikes and trainers. I'll have to post a photo....American Flag to the left, TV, Radio, DVD and VCR set up. Two big fans...Many a night doing the three hour Spinerval tape in there....Have the Tyler Hamilton poster up from last season. That may have to go.

The nicest touch is the towel rack. I made up name tags for the hooks.."I. Basso", "L. Armstrong", "M. Allen", "M. Pigg", "S. Taormina" than our two names....

Spring is coming soon, right? (Please Please)

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

I am in the middle of a gym reno right now. My house is on a sloping property and the original builder put big concrete slabs in for the garage floor and made a workshop underneath. This room contains my furnace but was not insulated and just concrete block foundation with a couple of wooden "barn syle" doors leading outside. So far the entire room is now framed and insulated. I've built a wall to block off the furnace and a storage area. It is all wired up and some new lighting has been installed and I've replaced the doors with some nice patio doors. I'm about half way through the drywalling process so I need to sinish this off, paint it, install carpeting and chisel a doorway through the block foundation into the rest of the house. When I finally get that done, I'll be moving my bike and trainer, wife's treadmill and my total gym in along with my TV and DVD player and a few high powered fans. I can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I set up my bike in our living room. I have a projector and big screen. A life size coach troy is just the scariest thing imaginable. next time I do a spinerval, I'll post a pic.

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget copious numbers of Tour de France videos!

Nothing makes the trainer time go by faster than listening to the sweet tones of Phil and Paul calling a bike race. And the images of those boys suffering more than you and I will ever understand.

"He's in a bit of a spot of bother here"

"...digging deep into the suitcase of courage..."

"...tickling his peddles across the line..." How the hell do you tickle your peddles?! Especially when you're climbing a damn mountain!

Although my favourite has to be the post 2003 Alpe d'Huez interview with David Millar. True honesty from a professional athlete - none of this "I gave 110%" crap.

"How did it feel, David?"

"It was horrible...Christ - it hurt so much!"

Ok, maybe I've watched these DVD's too many times now : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMESOME!!! I got a tv with DVD player combination for Christmas as my dedicated trainer entertainment for the basement... set up a high shelf for coffee, water bottles, remotes and towel so they are easy to reach. It's my fortress of solitude.

So far in january alone I've gone through all 3 Matrix movies, all 3 lord of the rings movies, Heat (with pacino & deniro), and gladiator, plus a few football games on the weekends.

I picked up a Sony Infrared wireless headset, so I can slap on the phones & get nearly home theatre quality without having to buy a full system. I've got a young daughter, so when I ride in the morning I can't really blast the volume anyway. Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Aaron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How did it feel, David?"

"It was horrible...Christ - it hurt so much!"

Interesting comments from Millar. Perhaps it was then that he decided,that he needed some "extra help" to stay at the front!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooohhhh...those headphones sound like a good toy. I always worry about annoying the crap out of my neighbours when I get the TV going with a good Tour video and the stereo with my favourite tunes.

Can you describe the headphones a little more, Tom? They stay on ok? No slipping problems with all the sweat? How about a link to a web page?

Its wierd, when I ride indoors to other sports, I find I get bored. Or maybe that's because I keep watching the Toronto Craptors get their behinds spanked!
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck - I was thinking the same thing about Millar! It was only a few months later that he won the worlds, right? Although, I do have to agree with him on the Alpe. I rode it the day before those guys in 2003, 5 days after Ironman Austria and man, it hurt. Although, I am quite proud of having climbed it in just over an hour.

I'm going back this summer after Ironman Germany and trying to decide whether to ride the Alpe again or try the Telegraphe/Galibier combo or maybe the Izoard. Not sure yet!
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training area: It just got way out of control.... [Aaron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They work great, they re-charge in the base & don't get too sweaty. No slipping problems certainly.

Here's where i bought them, damn now they're on sale...

http://www.buy.com/...1&spf=1&sp=1
Quote Reply