Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube
Quote | Reply
Hope some of you experts can help me out here. I bought a new stem (ITM Millenium if that matters) and need to install it. I have a carbon steer tube and ITM manual says to use a reinforcing collar inside the tube to keep it from deforming. I thought the tensioning cap (with expansion nut) providing the support inside the tube?

Assuming the expansion nut is adequate, does the stem have to be all the way at the top of the tube for the nut to be effective? In other words, can I put a spacer above the stem clamp?

Many Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question- and you are smart for asking.

First off, even if you are adverse to doing this normally, do read the directions. Not all stems are configured with a clamping system that is safe to use with a carbon steer tube fork. Read both the instructions and owner's manuals for the stem and the fork. Be sure the clamping mechanism on the stem is OK to use with your carbon steer tube fork.

If you can't get a definative answer, phone the fork distributor/manufacturer from their contact number you find on the web. This information is important.

Once you have done that, then it is advisable to leave about 1cm of carbon steer tube above the top of the stem clamp. Put an aluminum spacer around this. so now you have a spacer on top of your stem, maybe 5mm or 1 cm, so the stem is not clamping the very top (weakest) part of the steer tube. Also, this will give you a little wiggle room, 5 mm maybe if you use a 1cm spacer, to move your stem up and down.

Be certain you understand how your top cap works and the compression plug inside the steer tube.

I hope that information is helpful. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put the stem wherever you need it to go height-wise, forget about the expansion nut and buy this.....cos loose headsets have been the bane of my life....it's a black art to get it perfect.....until this:

USE Ring-Go-Star

This is an amasing product, very cheap and easy to install and the best solution for carbon steerer tubes......this product will ensure you don't damage anything.

You can buy it from loads of cycling shops. Ask your local shop for it....costs $25 approx. in the US.

For example, here:
http://www.glorycycles.com/userihe.html

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Stephen,

the Ring-Go-Star seems to be comparable to the Time Quickset system ... but if they allow you to get rid of the expander, how do you protect the carbon steerer from the stem pressure ? ... and from the stem overtightening (not recommended ;-)) ?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why leave the space at the top of the carbon steerer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Installing a new stem on a carbon steer tube [TheBigFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the Ring-Go-Star goes down over where the headset is....

So, in order....the headset, down at the bottome, steerer tube all exposed.....put on the Ring-G-Star now.....then the specers on top, then the stem or vice versa....

you know what....it bloody works.....6 turns of the small nut and it's tight as anything....no looseness at all....couldn't believe it myself.....

call USE or anyone who sells it, if you have any specific questions cos i really can't give you a 'why it works'. All I can give you is "it works!!!!!!"

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply