Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer tire wear question
Quote | Reply
So I'm sitting down to have dinner in front of the TV last night, Sierra Nevada in one hand, cod and french fries in the other, and I notice a large black stain on the sofa cushion.

Turns out it was fine rubber particles that had obviously sprayed off the wife's rear tire while she was on the trainer. She only has about 100 miles or so on the bike is this sort of shedding normal or does she have dud tires?

Bike: Stock Litespeed Bella

Trainer: CycleOps Fluid new

Wife: Custom

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer tire wear question [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the tires? What make/model?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer tire wear question [Spastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these ones.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...IDX=2&ZOOM_IDX=1

Sorry can't remember the make, but these are the stock tires that came with the bike.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always seen shedding of some sort until now. This winter I have been using solid urethane tire called Airfree and haven’t seen any evidence of disintegration at all. They’re used if you absolutely want to avoid punctures- problem is the ride is harsh. I think using them on a trainer is the perfect application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thread I started on the same topic a month or so ago - since following the advice in it I've had no trouble at all.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0tire%20wear;#277966

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shreaded 2 tires last winter on my Cyclops Fluid trainer. I have since learned 2 things

1 - It's slippage between the tire and the roller that causes the tire tread to come off and end up on your furniture. You really have to crank down on the roller adjustment and keep the tire pressure up to make sure there is no slippage. I now crank it about 3 full turns more than I was running last winter and the tire wear is much much less.

2 - I've gone to a dedicated trainer wheel/tire/cassette set up. This is what those $59.00 closeout wheels are for. Even if you have to buy everything new, you only have to save 2 or 3 good tires to cover the cost. If you have an extra wheel laying around, so much the better.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer tire wear question [Crimmsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I bet her tire pressure was low.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply