Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Setting boundaries when the person is oblivious to your politely-set ones [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack: Wendy, let me explain something to you. Whenever you come in here and interrupt me, you're breaking my concentration. You're distracting me! [he hits his head with the palm of his hand, rips up his manuscript, and throws it onto the floor] And it will then take me time to get back to where I was! Understand?! Wendy: Yeah. Jack: Fine. I'm gonna make a new rule: whenever I'm in here, and you hear me typing,[presses down hard on random keys] whether you don't hear me typing, whatever the fuck you hear me doing in here, when I'm in here, that means that I am working. That means don't come in. Now, do you think you can handle that? Wendy: Yeah. Jack: Fine. Why don't you start right now and get the fuck outta here, hm?

I like this approach!
Quote Reply
Re: Setting boundaries when the person is oblivious to your politely-set ones [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Remember my really long "roommate" thread from a couple years ago? Same person.

Because I live in a world that is far too small, she entered my graduate program this semester. I was not happy to (a) have to interact with her again or (b) have her in my intellectual space, but I had no choice. We have one class together; I am the head TA for the five sections of the class I'm in charge of (she teaches one section and thus I have had a slightly authoritative position over her); we are in the same large classroom-converted to office.

If you don't remember the story correctly, this is the roommate whose boyfriend spent too much time in our shared one-bedroom space and she yelled at me several times, once for something that I didn't do. She has a quick temper, is extroverted (I'm an introvert, and if you're an introvert too, you'll appreciate why that detail is important), and has some anger issues.

Because the yelling was very hurtful to me, when I knew we would be in a class together I went to the professor, informed her of the history, and told her that I was worried about the class being an emotionally safe place for me. She was receptive to my worries and agreed to not put us in any work or discussion groups together, etc. This class has gone OK, but I am facing another semester of having a class with her. This is a larger class and not a discussion one, but I have met with the professor and asked for the same arrangement - please don't put us in groups together, etc.

My current issue is that she is OBLIVIOUS to the boundaries I try to set for my office, and I don't know what to do. For example, one of the boundaries I have tried to set is "don't interrupt me when I am clearly doing work." [The office is an open space with desks - no cubicles though sometimes I REALLY want one]. She usually interrupts me when I am doing work and does not take the hint when I politely answer a question and then immediately look down/at my computer/get back to what I was trying to do. She is oblivious to this and usually keeps talking.

I am worried that in the class next semester she will ask me for help with homework (she asks me for help with her statistics homework now because I'm in a more advanced statistics class - and has not yet taken the hint of "I'm sorry, I'm busy doing _________ and can't help you").

My reasons for not wanting to interact with her: it is not so much fear of being yelled at again (I got over that in the beginning of this semester) but rather I don't enjoy interacting with her; furthermore, she was very hurtful toward me and with the way she treated me, I am not willing to spend time helping her. It's kind of like how you know there are "toxic" people in your life who just drain your energy, so you choose to set boundaries with them.

But what do you do when they are OBLIVIOUS to your boundaries? My latest tactic - she emailed me this morning and asked which of the two articles posted for class are optional. I wrote back "I don't remember [lie], check the assignment post." Current tactic: if I don't give helpful answers, she will eventually stop asking me questions.

Other ideas or thoughts? sorry for the long post.

You're going to have to get over being nice. Don't reply to her emails. If she brings it up tell her you didn't get it. Wash, rinse, repeat. In the office give her one chance to understand your boundary. Tell her very clearly, "Do NOT interrupt me." Don't give reasons, don't give excuses, just tell her NO and STOP. Do not answer her questions. Ignore her. If she ignores your statement of "Do NOT disturb me" bring in out your earplugs (you brought them in advance) and cut out her noise. If she asks for help simply say, "NO" Don't worry about giving a reason - you don't NEED to give anyone a reason.

On edit I see everyone has already given sage advice. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Dec 9, 10 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Setting boundaries when the person is oblivious to your politely-set ones [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm new here, but I have a little tangent to add...
I read a personality theory recently that boiled it down to people either being "askers" or "guessers" (or something to that effect). Basically, askers have no qualms asking for anything they want, and they put the onus on the other person to decide yes or no. Guessers, on the other hand, will analyze the situation first and only ever ask for something if they are sure the answer will be yes. So, we guessers are offended at being asked for unreasonable things, and don't understand that the askers never thought about what we'd think, and are half expecting to hear "no" in a neutral way.

Anyway, that sounds totally gimmicky, but it has helped me be less shocked when I think requests are unreasonable, and now able to answer honestly without worrying I'm hurting someone's feelings.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Setting boundaries when the person is oblivious to your politely-set ones [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't quite understand. Can you give me an example?

I have the option of moving to a different office next semester. It is an office in the physics building, not the math building. I really like the mathematicians and I'm a math grad so the math building is convenient (as far as asking professors questions and stuff). I am mulling over what I want to do.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hazarding to guess, as I am not greenjp I think they simply mean that the girl that has annoyed and annoyed you is an 'asker' She has no qualms about just approaching you out of the blue and requesting things. You, on the other hand, seem more like a 'guesser' Without annoy girl explicitly being told that you wish to not help her or associate with her she will most likely continue to ask as she has no reason to believe you'll say no.

I personally wouldn't move buildings because of her. I bet that if you find a way to confront her that you are comfortable with, she'll let you be you and you'll be able to stay close to the math folks that you do enjoy being around.

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the math building, then stay.

I have had a few issues with people asking me questions or just wanting to chat when (a) I'm in the middle of something or (b) I just don't care for that person. I started out trying to be polite but brief and found that usually didn't work for the long term. Now I just don't care and am essentially rude (I would guess that how most think of it). If they ask a question during while I'm working on something, I don't turn around to face them but simply give a short answer and keep going.

I'll add that I don't exactly have the most friends, so this approach may not be the best. It works for me and my personality (introvert borderline anti-social).
Quote Reply
Re: Setting boundaries when the person is oblivious to your politely-set ones [trigeek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also introvert borderline antisocial

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very extroverted and would find it difficult to be in a room with someone without talking to them. Maybe this girl is the same way and the only thing she can talk to you about is what you have in common, the class.
There will be many people in your life that will annoy you down the road, particularly if you are entering a career area where you must interact with others. Be tactful, not mean, wear your headphones and if she continues asking you questions politely explain that while you don't mind being asked an occasional question you do mind being constantly interrupted while you are trying to concentrate and as far as statistics help, suggest she speak to her professors :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next