Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... yep, no matter how hard I tried to cancell... they kept billing...

Wait till they freeze your credit card for failure to pay...

... it's pretty much like extorsion...

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am but I get it free. I work for Time Warner.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well my bank statement says TWX AOL for Broadband...so I guess it's both TW and AOL...
funny thing is that they have been able to 'upgrade' my dial up to cable without any problem...

when I am already a Time Warner - Road Runner customer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I had it at the 9.95 per month price accessed through my provider. I thought I canceled it in December ---guess I better check.
Last edited by: Monk: Jan 29, 05 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had an account with them back in the early 90s for a couple special interest boards and chat groups. I'd log in once in a blue moon to touch base with old friends for a couple years after that and kept the $4.95/month plan, but finally decided to cancel in June 2004 because I just wasn't even doing that anymore.

Called up their CS number, spent 30 minutes chanting "please cancel my service" like a Buddhist monk while the CS rep kept ignoring me and telling me about all the wonderful features of 9.0 and he was sure I'd love them so much that I'd keep my account, and he knew I really wanted to upgrade to the $40/month boradband plan instead of the $4.95. I finally put the Sherpa on the line with the guy. Sherpa said some harsh words, and CS rep got all pissy and threatened to hang up on Sherpa, but did, in the end, say he was going to cancel the account.

The next credit card statement shows up, and we've been billed for another month. Now you do not financially mess with my Sherpa. He eats health insurance billing companies for lunch and enjoys the meal. So he calls up Citibank credit's fraud unit, and sics the fraud unit on AOL for billing for services we told them we didn't want. Citibank was cool about it all, and got the $4.95 charge reversed. The down side was that Citibank couldn't just block AOL from charging the account again, so we had to get the credit cards reissued with new numbers on them. But that was a pretty minor issue- the only other thing that bills to our credit card is Sunpass and it just took a phonecall to get that straightened out.

AOL sent us a pissy letter saying the credit card number they had on file for us was now invalid and they needed a new one from us and our service was being suspended until that happened. Hurray for suspended service!

Summary: AOL's billing and customer retention departments are rat bastards.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill, you should be happy they did not find out about your new CC number. I just helped my brother last month with a similar situation. He had AOL a year or so ago and cancelled. They kept charging him, he kept cancelling. He did not have a credit card, so it was straight out of his bank account. A year goes by and him and his new wife decide they should get a credit card. They get it, put it away to use it when they need it. They get there first statement and there card was maxxed out. AOL had back charged them. This is a card they did not know the number of or ever use, just activated.

This just wasn't a case of them billing a number they had, it was them going out to find some way to bill them.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another AOL cancellation experience [url] http://www.theperfectworld.us/thread.php?id=698&postNum=1569 [/url]

I feel bad for winger, but it really is a funny tale and AOL is apparently actually cancelling the account now for real.
Last edited by: FLA Jill: Feb 2, 05 9:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next