Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you feel old?????
Quote | Reply
 Do you feel old?

According to today's law makers regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots and pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this. We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and baseball, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits. We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents. We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mom or pop to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face: The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........They are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and they think Lionel Ritchie is famous because of Nicole. They have never heard of , Bananarama, The Police or Wham.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam. AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born. Michael Jackson has always been white. To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance. They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year. They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five. They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You. They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

(has some British connotations...but you get the idea)

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Jan 28, 05 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine recently told me he has Marines in his squad that have never worn black boots or any other uniform than the pixelated MARPAT digital camouflage.

I do feel old lately. My body is beat to heck. My knees hurt, my digestive system is fried form parasites and infections from drinking bad water in Africa and Asia. My back is blown, I'm hard of hearing and my eyesight is fading. The shopping list of injuries I have had is too long to believe.

That said I don't have a single gray hair and (knock on wood) am not loosing any hair.

But I still keep moving and I can still out swim and out run any 18 year old who works for me and managed to keep up with a 28 year old girlfriend over the summer- matter of fact, I kind of wore her out. She was a partier and the ravages of smoke and drink were tough on her physical constituion. Poor thing.

Yeah, I do feel old sometimes. When I was born, Dwight D. Eisenhower was President.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, I must be one of you old farts, because I"m nodding my head "yes" to all of it and thinking to myself, "Amen brother, amen".

But do I feel old? No, but sometimes I do when i think bad thoughts.

cheers (holding up fresh ground/brewed coffee that's loaded with Khalua, Bailery's and Frangelico. damn I love working for myself!)
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 28, 05 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kittycat, didn't you just turn 30?

Well, I am approaching 50 rapidly. I feel fantastic. I don't feel old. Intellectually I know I am old, fat and slow, but I don't feel that way.

Absent serious physical limitations, it is all mental attitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well, I must be one of you old farts, because I"m nodding my head "yes" to all of it and thinking to myself, "Amen brother, amen".

But do I feel old? No, but sometimes I do when i think bad thoughts.

cheers (holding up fresh ground/brewed coffee that's loaded with Khalua, Bailery's and Frangelico. damn I love working for myself!)

Funny, when I feel young I think bad thoughts!

Or, as my Daddy always told me: "Die young at a very old age". Must be a good philosophy because he's still refereeing rugby matches in Northern California at the mature age of 72.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using feel as the key word....not a bit.

Now that said. I have vivid recollections of the first time I saw the NBC peacock in something other than grey tones when we went to a neighbor's house to watch Walt's wonderful world on their new color TV.

Milk still came three times a week in glass bottles brought by the man wearing a white uniform and drove a truck with the product in back kept cool by ice.

Dad wouldn't let me go to my first Jr. High dance unless I was wearing a suit.

At my first TV news journalism job we still shot with a 16mm Frezzolini...no that is not a gun.

And I still love the strange looks I get from people even in their 30's when I talk about hanging out with Abbie Hoffman. The Chicago who?

Wouldn't have passed up that stuff for anything going on today. And I still occasionally put some whoop on a few in the 25-29 AG. That's all I need.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember when my dad brought home our first color TV. My sisters and I were watching cartoons and got really upset when he unplugged the old GE set in the middle of our favorite show....little did we know that we were about to see Inch High Private Eye in glorious technicolor!!! followed by a Hong Kong Phooey double bill.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, this is cute ... BUT

John Travolta was NEVER a God of dance. If anyone ever thought so, they were hangin' out with Timothy Leary in the prior decade.

I love it when I talk to some of the college kids I train with. We talk about music and I mention The Beatles. I get blank stares.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

Sky King was my reality TV show.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel old (chronic neck, achilles, elbow, digestive problems), I am old (50+), but certainly don't act old - at least that's what my kids tell me.

"You grow older every day, but you can be immature your whole life."

Raised on Leave It To Beaver and I Love Lucy...
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Absent serious physical limitations, it is all mental attitude.<<

Amen Art!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, now after 3 sweet Guiness beers and a little taste of a killer apple martini, I feel...rather blown and fantastic.

shit. how can I give this up? (the feeling of uptopia, in love, freedom of America, so blessed to work for myself, to not be handicapped or desperately ill...and so on with how blessed a life I have) In reality, all I can feel is joy (especially now with the drinky poos...lol). Yes, I've just turned 30, but I swear to you my life has been aged more than my counterparts...this is due, I belive, to parents who chose to have me at the ages of 41 (my mother--yes! back in the 70's! doctors told her I could more than likely be downs, but she hung tough and had me anyway) and 56 (my father, who passed away three years ago this upcoming Feb. 16).

I don't know, some people are just "older". That is me. My girlfriends are much older than me, and I am at least 10 years ahead of my counterparts. So, what I'm saying is, don't judge me by age. Maybe though, I should be younger...I try constantly, but I'm just "not"...can someone relate? It's life experience...

Oh, the hell with it. lol...we're all people and in the same boat. who cares?

kc
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 28, 05 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My nine yr old asked me the other day if I had heard of the album Yellow Submarine. I told her I not only heard of it but used to listen to the record all the time when I was a kid. "a record is that one of those big things?". She also thinks portable typewriters are cool because "they're like a laptop that you don't have to plug in."
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel old????? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I turn 40 next friday. I have been telling the kids I work with that I will be officially "old" at that moment. I don't believe that of course, and they refuse to believe that I am turning 40. Actual quote "but you do all that racing and stuff" from an 23 yr old young women that I have had to gently dissuad from attaching herself to me. She can't concieve not taking the elevator up 1 floor much less running a 1/2 iron.

Am i old, no. I might describe myself as immature but not old.

BTW, I think that is one of the top posts so far this year.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is that old guy that I see in the mirror in the morning? I'm not as old as he is. (Am I?)

Yellow Submarine the album? How about the movie?
Anyone have the Armadillo album, by Leo Kottke?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just read all the posts above this one, and dam in general the responses are sad.

do i feel old - HELL NO! I actually feel younger now than I have in more than a decade and a half.

Wind in my face on a ride, feeling of floating when swimming in the lake, crushing out a great run = all these things may hurt to do, but make mee feel young physically, mentally and spiritually.

afterwards the body might hurt, and actually I think that too makes me feel young. why, because I know i just did something that should have challenged my abilities and only a your person would be able to do such feats with the intent of doing it all over again.

I am alive and taking the opportunity each day to go after it - triathlon is a gift - it challenges my body and excites my mind.

Old - no I will never be old as long as I keep at this sport.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply