Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In retrospect it's NO on #2
Quote | Reply
I like it when I'm surrounded by people smarter than I am. It makes for an interesting association and, of course, you learn things.

Certain people on this forum ("Tom" comes to mind) are smarter than I. After having gotten back my answer from our board's president, Brad Davison, I'm changing my recommendation on ballot proposition #2 to NO.

I say this because the board either purposely, or negligently, decided to omit what it promises on USAT's website, that is, the publication of the changes in the bylaws that will result from the passage of this proposition. The board does not at all feel that proposition #2 is flawed because they've omitted what they promised to give.

Maybe it's underhanded of them, maybe it's sneaky, maybe it's just a difference in points of view that people of goodwill can have. Regardless of the motives behind omitting the actual language the proposition will generate, the current confusion on this was both predictable and avoidable.

I say this because the current bylaws require significant advance notice of any question upon which the membership shall vote. Our current bylaws require the following:

—"...an issue of the federation newsletter that is devoted entirely to the annual election and mailed with the ballot to all eligible voters on January 15 of each year."

—"Ballots for annual elections shall be mailed as inserts in the issue of the
federation newsletter that is devoted entirely to the election."

This is to ensure that the membership have enough advance notice of the proposals to hash them out, talk about them, ruminate over them, and prepare to vote with full knowledge of the questions. To that end, and to ensure that there be no manipulation or influence, according to the bylaw which states...

—"It is intended that federation elections shall be as free from unfair
influence and manipulation as is reasonably possible."

...Our elections are supposed to be run by an outside party. The following bylaws require this...

—"Subject to the terms of these Bylaws, a CPA shall design and administer all federation elections. This CPA shall have no other relationship with the federation."

—"The election shall be certified by the election administrator and notice of the same shall be promptly posted on the federation website."

I do not know who this administrator is. I've asked, we'll see what the answer is. I have a suspicion there is no administrator according to our bylaws.

What will happen if #2 passes I do not know. But for now, I must recognize that smarter folks than I were right. A "NO" vote on proposition #2 is the safest bet. When our federation actually achieves the goal of conducting a fair, open, honest election that honors and obeys its bylaws, I might give questions such as this the benefit of the doubt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: In retrospect it's NO on #2 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good plan Dan. I would think that whatever was on the physical ballot would trump whatever was on the web site. I don't think that they can assume that everyone has access to the web. I am getting the feeling that it was intentional on the BODs part, that they were trying to illicit yes/yes votes by portraying only half of the effects on the site, and putting out conflicting and ever changing information. Both proposals, and the resulting by-laws should have been published months ago, if they really wanted it to be/look legit. Obviously, these are things they wanted to change from the moment they saw the petition, so it's nothing new.

The BOD has done nothing to restore my faith or trust in them. I didn't see an even half hearted attempt at adhering to the new (petition) by-laws. If they had made a good faith effort at that, and gave good reasons (early on) for making changes to term limits, districts, etc., then I might have paid attention. But for now, it's a no/no vote for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy sh*t, our governing body for triathlon is more underhanded than our government!
Quote Reply
Re: In retrospect it's NO on #2 [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the other thread:

"It is my nature to think the best of someone until proven contrary.

Hence my thoughts that either we are being deliberately confused...or the board members do not have the simple capacity to say here is what we want to do and why...clearly.

Either way is nothin but trouble."

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm voting no on both. The changes in 1 do seem reasonable, but I cannot penetrate the verbiage on either the ballot or the website, to determine what I'm actually voting for. In addition as Lew pointed out, the information given on the ballot and the website conflicts. I feel bad about this because I've been an unpaid volunteer in my time, and it surely is hard work for low pay. But until a clear unambiguous statement can be presented, with enough time to read and clarify it, I'm not going to give assent.
Quote Reply
Re: In retrospect it's NO on #2 [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree and now I just generally feel a mistrust for it. My perception is that there is an effort to manipulate things the way they want them to their benefit. There are just too many questions concerning how they are conducting business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good intentions or not I tend to look at items like #'s 1&2 with suspicion and when the verbiage is difficult to follow and/or misleading I usually say nyet.

In this case it is a no

Eric Drew

Member USAT South West Region Board of Directors

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply