Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continental Road Tires ?
Quote | Reply
I got an email that the Conti Ultra 2000 is on Sale.

Is this tire any good ?

Currently my training tires are Hutchson Carbon
Comps, and I am VERY disappointed with them.
Less than 2K miles - they are starting to separate
(Hmm...wonder if Performance will honor their
"Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy for this ?).

BTW - for racing season, I put on Michelin Pro Race,
a little pricey, but I'm happy with them (I guess).

thanks in advance,

DB
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Road Tires ? [dan IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go to www.roadbikereview.com and check reviews by other people. I find it helpful to some degree.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental makes great tires. Their high end Tubular tires are the industry standard. I raced on Conti GP's for years. Never a problem.

I do have a bit of an issue with their clinchers. I am sure that the higher end models are of outstanding quality. However, they are brutal to get on/off certain rims - or at least any of the rims that I own. I would never want to try and change one of these quickly or on the road-side in the middle of a training ride.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for training tires, go with the Conti Ultra Gatorskins. The 2000's are a little lite on thread count for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Gatorskins. Great tire, but can also be a bear to get on and off the rim. But which do you spend more of your time doing - riding on tires or changing them?

----------

Since life ultimately ends in death, life itself is life-threatening.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Ultra 2000 for training a lot. I never had any problems, even after 3000+ miles on them. They always seems very smooth riding and good in corners, although I'm not tech savvy enough to fully evaluate such things. The one complaint I have them is with the weird thread things that make up the tire sidewalls. I really do'nt get the concept. They would wear out a bit and the threads would wrap around my skewer, cassette, seat-stay, whatever you want. Once I took off my cassette and took one off my free-hub body that had been wound around 20 times! You never notice, because they (the thread thingys) are so light weight, but it always seemed weird to me. But I would definitely buy them again.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Road Tires ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"However, they are brutal to get on/off certain rims"

*** Never had this problem. I've used Conti for years, on a bunch of different wheel/rims and they've always been about average as for as mounting.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Road Tires ? [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did say certain rims. Perhaps you have had better luck with the rims you have been using. With my training wheels - basic Mavic box and Velomax aero, it is a huge struggle to get any of the Conti clinchers that I have owned on/off these rims.

Your effort may vary.

I currently use the Michelin Road Pros for training and find that these tires go on/off both these rims with minimal effort.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Road Tires ? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good to hear since I just bought a pair on Performacebike.com. $9.99 each! I love shopping in January, I think I've saved as much money as I've spent on a new saddle, new aerobars and new tires...
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Road Tires ? [kupe du monde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm personally not a fan of the Gatorskins, the tyres just feel dead. I opted for some Conti Grand Prix 4 Season as my winter tyre, they're great training tyres, and don't have the dead rubber feel of the gatorskins.
Quote Reply