Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yoga DVD recommendation?
Quote | Reply
I'm a month into my first session Yoga classes and want to continue after the classes are done. Anyone have recommendations on DVDs to use at home that you like?

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Last edited by: flatfootedfatty: Jan 26, 05 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [flatfootedfatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like "Yoga for Athletes".

http://www.amazon.com/...p;s=dvd&n=507846

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of the Yoga For Athletes video as well. I have talked a couple of my college athletes into buying the video now the trick is just getting them to use it...
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this dvd for xmas and I have to say that I really don't like it. It moves incredibly slowly and they keep you in each pose for what seems like minutes at a time. In each case, it feels like I am overstretching. I much prefer routines that are more fluid, that keep you in a pose for a little while and them move you oo the next.

It's not perfect, but I like this one better
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007JME6/qid=1106758814/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-7951206-6244709?v=glance&s=dvd
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the perfect DVD for what you are looking for. By coaches/athletes for athletes. Triathletes.

https://www.bodyzen.com/...site/equipments.html#

I know you'll benefit from it. Thanks for reading.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of yoga are you doing?

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the website and was intrigued. Can you provide a bit more explanation as to what sort of routine is shown on the DVD? Is there a mix of yoga like poses and traditional stretching; static or highly dynamic; slow paced or relatively fast-moving?

I would really like to learn more but if you think a longer description online might descend into what has been at times debated as "Demerly-type tactics" feel free to PM me... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What type of yoga are you doing?

Well, they list it as Hatha yoga. Lots of beginner stuff, which is exactly what I need. Man, it really shows me some glaring weaknesses I have in my core body!

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the request for more info!

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga DVD recommendation? [Catbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very funny. it's interesting as I really hesitated to post about our DVD. i don't want to look as if we are doing shameless plugs but with all the other posting i do, i feel it is exceptable as this is right up our alley. i won't even go into the other posts about people putting on camps/clinics.

the DVD has a few parts. some are individual stretch routines for our sports and there are two main routines that are roughly 22:00 in length. it would be more hatha yoga inspired but it is not yoga. we made sure to hit all the important muscle groups for tri heads. my wife and i lead the routine and we are both USAT Level 2 coaches, IM finishers and the like. if you need more info, PM me. it's been really helpful for everyone who's got it.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have just started (a month) doing hatha yoga I would stay away from anything marketed as for runners or athletes, unless you feel like you need to be challenged.

My first recommendation would be to find another instructor, something permenant not a 6 week or so course but a continous class. Some of my students have been with me from the first day I started teaching 4 years ago. You will learn more from an instructor than any video. A video can't tell you if you are doing something wrong and can't explain what to do when you say "this hurts", "right here".

That said I know not everyone has time to go to a structured class. Heck, I have trouble making time for yoga and I'm an instructor. Your best bet is going to be something from the yoga journal site. It is a well written and easy to follow. www.yogajournal.com also many of the instructors are contributors to the magizine and questions can be addresses thru the online glossaries. I also recomend Rodney Yee as a instructor that does well on tape. If you want to be challenged try Baron Baptise, Beryl Bender Birch (low quality video but good instruction) and Brian Kest. I have recommended instructors instead of specific videos for a couple of reasons. 1) I don't have the vidoes in front of me right now. 2) All of these people have various titles available right now and anything by them will fit your need. Read the descriptions, check amazon feedbacks and you will find something that will suit you.

Namaste

Jim

My personal favorite, not easy, I couldn't do the whole routine the first six months I had it.

http://www.amazon.com/...654-0604020?v=glance

I withdraw the yoga journal recomendation. They have a bunch of stuf by people I don't know on there right now. Search amazon for the names I listed.
Last edited by: Jim: Jan 26, 05 13:23
Quote Reply