Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubulars?
Quote | Reply
I have the opportunity to buy an almost new set of 404's for an amazing price, but I need some help. I am relatively new to this sport and haven't heard much about the pros and cons of tubular tires. If I understand right, they are glued onto the rim, with a tube "stitched" inside. The downside seems to be the difficulty in changing them out if you do have a flat. If I get a flat in an IM, am I done? Advice please! Do most of you ride tubulars?
Quote Reply
Re: tubulars? [lefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you get a flat rip the flat off and put on a new tubular.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mounting tubies is not difficult. Changing one is not difficult either. Some might even say they can change a tubie faster in a race than a clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
         The downside of tubulars isn't the changing of the tires, that's about the same as a clincher if you know what you are doing with each. The downside is the price of the tire, let's say $70 and you can't fix a flat. You need a new tire instead of a $5 tube. The upside is a much llighter rim on the Zipp404. The tire issue is no big deal if you only want to use them for races. If you want to ride them more than that it could get expensive. I have Zipp404 clinchers. I ride them full time. They're great wheels, no problems in three years. As it is, mine are the second best race wheel, the 404tubie is the best, but I can use mine full time.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only drawback is the cost of a flat.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race and train on tubulars!

Paul
Quote Reply