Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM cocktails! What do you use?
Quote | Reply
I know some of you have secret brews that keep you pedalling and running for HOURS...nows the time to tell everyone what you use!

1. Ingredients?

2. Calorie per bottle?

3. Protein & Carb/ Pure Carb?

4. Anything special/unique you like to mention??

THANKS EVERYONE!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM cocktails! What do you use? [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably do not get this stuff in the US but Science in Sports stuff in the dogs.... I spoke to Peter Slater who is their Marketing guy and raced Ironman France a couple of years ago and this rocks. Just need two bottles loaded on bike, take on water at aid stations (Plus say 3-4gels here and there) and add extra bottle at Sp. needs.

Cocktail: 800ml bottles mixed with 8% SiS GO (I prefer Lemon and Lime) then topped to 18% concentration with SiS PSP22 (Neutral)

These are good for 525 calories plus the sodium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, potassium of the GO (Full spectrum electrolytes)

Pure carb plus electrolytes.

Nothing special but it is special for me.

"That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly "Thomas Paine
Quote Reply
Re: IM cocktails! What do you use? [TriGav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link for that SiS stuff? Googled it but didn't come up with anything. Thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.scienceinsport.com

Looks pretty interesting. I get really tired of gels after 3 or 4, so the idea of 10 or 15 during an IM is not so attractive. I might have to try getting som 800 or 1000 calorie bottles. Also check out the thread on this form titled "Home Brew Sports Drink/Bar" by Jim Mishler.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IMFL I used 2 bottles of Accelerade on the bike, mixed double strength. I think that was about 400 calories a bottle.

In addition to that I ate 1 cliff bar, 4 bananas, 5 bottles of Gatorade, 12 gels and 30 oz of water.

When I got to the run I was very well fueled.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red Bull and Grey Goose......

;-)

Post Race of course...

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Last edited by: IronZ06: Jan 21, 05 3:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM cocktails! What do you use? [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra Fuel worked for me, 400 calories in a little bottle, 6 on the bike, then used whatever they had at the tables for the run, chicken soup on the last lap (Clermont). Not sure what's in UF, but it's pretty sweet as many of these types of drink can be, so after an IM, you don't want to see the stuff for a long time. Or a gel or a bar, for that matter.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My secret brew is that I train and use everything they have on course....

(Although I have gummy bears and salt tablets in the special needs bag)

Gatorade

Water

GU

Bananas

Coke

For certain road races...I use Extran. Considering it for IM, but don't wanna deal with all the luggage.

http://www.extranusa.com/homefcpu.asp
Quote Reply
Re: IM cocktails! What do you use? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a smart idea, I've still yet to try Coke during the run.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbopro. Neutral flavor not sweet. You can mix to 100 - 800 calories per bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy - learned from my then-coach - worked at im placid.

gu every 20' with a bit of water. bottle of gatorade every 30'.
repeat until bike over.

on the run, alternate gatorade and water till mile 13. start on coke at 13 - add in chicken soup as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extran. And more Extran.

1. Glucose

2. 600 calories in a sml water bottle.

3. Pure carb. Osmolity the same as water ie. absorbs super quick and easy, no need to consume extra water to cut down the solution.

4. See #2.

"Failure is an event, not a person."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.infinitnutrition.com

Mix each serving in 20 ounce water bottle:

192 calories

42 grams carbohydrate (maltodextrin/glucose blend)

6 grams whey protein

480 mg sodium

138 mg potassium

60 mg magnesium

30 mg calcium

Protein has proven its worth in endurance training. I had my sweat tested at Gatorade Sports Science labs to determine my electrolyte breakdown. More and more sports cocktails are including magnesium/calcium into their electrolyte blends to aid muscle function during endurance training/racing. In the future, I may experiment with a small dosing of BCAAs in combo with the whey protein.

Healthy trails,

Kim Brown, MS, RD

Sports Nutritionist

www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM cocktails! What do you use? [KimBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kim: If I was going to use your formula for an IM race, is it ok to put double the concentration but take water from the Aid stations?

It seems quite impossible to carry around 10 bottles (1920 calories) for a 6-7 hr ride???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know some of you have secret brews that keep you pedalling and running for HOURS...nows the time to tell everyone what you use!
Actually my brew is not that secret: Fat Tire
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the formula can be mixed into a thicker concentrate as means to minimize the number of bottles. I use a backloading 64 ounce Never Reach System to carry my fluids. I am working with Never Reach to develop a concentrate flask that attaches to my Never Reach hydration bladder as means to mix the concentration with cold aid station water in Ironman distance racing.

Luke Bell mixes his Infinit formula into a thicker concentration during Ironman racing as well.

Healthy regards,

Kim Brown, MS, RD

Sports Nutritionist

www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IMFLA Nutrition.

Bike-Carbo pro and Gu20 (I changed to Gu2o in the last month before the event cause it tasted so good, and you want something that tatses good so there will be less resistance.) I think it was 6 scoops carbopro per bottle and a bottle lasted 3 hours. I also fdrank gatorade and water as needed. I ate 2 fig nemwans and a gu every hour (gu at 15 past and fig at 45 past) If I felt like eating more I did. At mile 70 I got fatigued and grumpy and a bananna pulled me out of it. I did have some thermo tabs or whatever they are called and took 2 an hour I think this ended up being 460 or so calories an hour.

Run-I was supposed to do a gu every 20 min but I didnt like them at that point. I would get a gu at every station and take some (a 3rd or so) of it and wash it down with water. I drank a sip or so of gatorade. I started on broth at mile 18 or so.

This worked well for me.
Quote Reply