Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benefit of Monthly Massage
Quote | Reply
I can only afford to get my legs worked on by a LMT....once a month. Is there much benefit to a 30 minute session (for my legs) once a month? My legs are frequently tight from training and the massage makes them feel better for a day or two. However, I wonder just how much benefit (injury prevention) the monthly massage is providing.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefit of Monthly Massage [TheBorg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think the benefits of massage are hard to quantify. That being said, I get a massage once per week and really look forward to it. I have no proof that it works, but I was chronically injured prior to the massage, and now my pains and strains are manageable. I have had plantar fascitis for about a year and a half. Before massage, I had to take a month of from running at one point and at other times had to scale back my running. My therapist really focuses on this problem, and although I still have a slight problem with it, I feel much better and have been running pretty consistently. Also, I used to have problems with swimmers shoulder. Don't know if my technique changed or what happened, but my massage guy focused on that area and I have since more than doubled my yardage with no problems.

But, I also have a couple more years of base in me.... maybe my body is adapting to the demands I'm placing on it???

Bottom line is that I think that it works. If nothing else, it helps me relax mentally for 1 hour per week. If I couldn't afford to go once per week, I would still go once per month definitely. Also, how about hot baths and self massage? I do this now in addition to visiting my massage therapist. Add in stretching and yoga and I've found I'm really able to up my training hours and keep the injuries at bay.

Hope this helps, Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Andy says, the benefits of massage are hard to quantify. A massage feels great but if it's only once a month your tight legs would probably benefit much more if you got yourself on a regular stretching program. A good place to start is with the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, it benefits the massage therapist!

I think some sort of massage is a good thing. I use "the stick" on my legs when they get tight/sore. It seems to decrease the time they stay tight/sore. To really know for sure, I guess I'd have to only do the left leg one time and compare it to the right, then next time only do the right and compare it to the left. After several cycles of this kind of experimentation, I could probably be even more sure. But, I'm sure enough to keep doing it. If I could afford it, I'd be in there once a week...simply because it feels so good.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can only hire a CMT once a month, I would recommend doing "self massage", stretching, and elevating your legs as much as possible... then, your therapist could go deep and strip out any adhesions or injured/tight areas once a month...

I use a lot of self massage techniques on my legs. This helps them to stay somewhat supple and ready for deeper work when a therapist works with me.

You can use a "stick, omni-roller, foam roller, tennis-ball, etc". It all helps to a certain degree.
Quote Reply