Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neoprene caps, effective?
Quote | Reply

I'm contemplating an early season half and expect water to be cold, maybe about 60F. I'll be in the water for 35-45mins. (i'm working on it)

My lone DNF was a result of hypothermia from an Oly swim in water in low 60's a couple yrs ago. Was in sleeveless wetsuit and no cap. I am blessed/cursed very little natural insulation.

I've picked up a full suit, which will help but probably not enough imo.

thoughts, tips, recommendations?

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene caps, effective? [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: I have raced Ralph's 1/2 the last two years. The water temp was around the upper 50's with a similar air temp at the start of the race.

In 2003 is used a QR neoprene cap which was quite cozy, but the chin strap left a bit of a raw spot on my neck. Body Glide may resolve this issue.

Last year I doubled up on the latex swim caps to gain a bit of additional insultation and didn't have any major issues in the swim, but I was cold for the first 30 minutes or so of the bike. (either the air temp was cooler last year or the heat loss during the swim translated into a low core temp during the bike, most likely the latter of the two)

This year I will make a game day decision depending on the weather and water temp race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like my desoto one - i believe it to be effective.

---Politics = Poli (many) Ticks (blood sucking ectoparasites)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go the double cap option.

I surf year round here and wear a neoprene number for that. Couldn't imagine swimming in it though.

Also, warm up before the off. That should help out.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have a DeSoto (the one without non-adjustable chin strap). I swim in low 60's water in the Spring. I am a good swimmer. It works great; no discomfort nor balance issues.

2 swim caps just isn't enough warmth for me in the early outdoors season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Ironman wetsuits one and it works well. It fastens under the chin, and keeps the water out of your ears also. Fullsuit should definiteley help. I have done a couple Olympics in mid 50s and with fullsuit and hat and with about no natural insulation wasn't that bad. Swam a couple days prior just to get ready for the sudden shock.

Barefoot
Quote Reply