Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mtb Question
Quote | Reply
So I am completely illiterate when it comes to Mtb's.

What is the difference between:

- An up swing and a down swing derailleur?

- A cable and hydraulic disc brake set? Will I notice a difference?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: Mtb Question [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the Derailler, if it's the front then you probably mean...

Bottom pull or top pull which is the direction the cable is routed to move the derailler. If it's a top pull derailler, then the cable probably runs along the top tube and then down to the derailler. If it's a bottom pull, then the cable either runs down the downtube and under the bottom bracket like a road bike or along the top tube to a pulley below the front derailler and the up to the derailler. There is no real difference other than the fact that by using a top pull derailler with cables routed high, there is less chance they will be mucked up with mud or water.

If you're talking about the rear derailler, then you may mean rapid-rise vs. regular shifting. In rapid rise, the shifting is effectively opposite what it is on a road bike. By tightening the rear cable you shift to a harder gear and by loosening the rear cable with a shift you shift into an easier gear.

Hydraulic disc brakes are more expensive, and in my opinion, more reliable than cable discs. They are more difficult to set up, but once you get them set, they are pretty much maintenance free with the exception of changing out the pads or the fluid if it begins to leak. The downside is that if the fluid leaks in the middle of nowhere or in a race, there's little you can do to repair it that I know of (although you can probably use mineral oil or regular DOT brake fluid in some of them). Cable discs will be more prone to being affected by water or mud, but they are less expensive and set up can be a little easier (ie less messy). Many folks also believe that you get better control and modulation with hydraulic brakes.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
top swing

bottom swing

It has to do with where the 'cage' of the derailleur is relative to the clamp. Bottom swing is older and more 'traditional', and top swing is the newer design. Beware though, I had issues with top swing on my Salsa mtb due to the large diameter of my seat tube. Couldn't shift onto the small chain ring so I had to switch to a bottom swing. (Both models can actually be 'top pull' or 'bottom pull' which describes where the cable comes from.)

Cable Disk brakes use cables like traditional road and mtb breaks. Hydraulic requires fluid in the break lines like your cars brakes. Hydraulic discs have some set-up issues like 'bleading them' correctly but are considered superior performance wise AFAIK.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Last edited by: Mark C: Jan 20, 05 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Felipe,
I'm not quite sure what you mean either. But Shimono and SRAM uses two different systemsThe SRAM rear derailleur is pulled from the top and the Shimano dereailleur is pulled from the side. Besides doing duathlons and triathlons, I'm an avid mountainbiker. I just switched from Shimano XT to SRAM X.0, and the performance and precision is so much better.

For the brakes, then I have never heard of any serious mountainbiker using mechanical brakes (cable).

Good luck,

Henrik
Quote Reply