Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in no particular order...

computrainer: yes it makes riding indoors more interesting and therefore allows me to stay on it longer however i think the two biggest benefits have been, a) being able to test and retest my fitness using identical protocols b) train with power which won't allow me to slack off during a training ride

coach: although i don't have one now, having a coach not only helped organize and make the best use of my time, it also pushed my limits to places i probably wouldn't have gone without it.

heart rate monitor: ok, i believe in building a base training aerobically and for that, a hr monitor is priceless.
Quote Reply
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After running outside last night I am adding Pearl Izumi stretch amphib tights and craft base layers. They helped me stay outside during the winter and off the treadmill. Very good. I ran 4 miles outside last night at 23 degrees with a 14 degree wind chill and it was comfortable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a coupple of things, but for now I am going to stick to just one; Keywin CRM road Pedals. they embody everything I like about a good cycling product, they are cheap (~$150) even with ti axles, they are extremely light (192 g per pair + 72 g per pair of cleats), they are adjustable (replaceable axle lengths), have a large platform (larger than look), and a low profile; float can be medium, or non-existant, and there is even a "track pin" feature for the hard core. the real advantages, though are in the details. Thay are incredibly simple mechanically, and grip like a dead man's hand, the pedal bodies are plastic (so clipping apedal in a corner just shaves of a bit of the body, and doesn't send you skipping sideways across the raod) and every individual part is replaceable at a reasonable cost. It is well thought out products like these, that don't break the bank that make quality cycling available to everyone. In my opinion, that is what makes a good product. eddie.
Quote Reply
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had heard it was unstable on the front, but Ulrich and one other guy (Vöckler?) ran them for TT in Le Tour. Mavic says it's for track only. Didn't know about the braking problem.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clothing: Sugoi, Nike, Pearl Izumi, Insport - incredibly long lasting, comfortable and warm.

Mizuno running shoes (Creation, Precision, flats) - totally injury free for 4 years.

HED 3 wheels - I have the original Specialized version, still fast/aero, reasonably light and bullet proof after racing on them for 10 years.

Syntace aero bars - fairly light, comfortable and strong.

FSA cranks - thousands of trouble free miles - Road/Tri and Mt. Bikes.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went from TTing on a high end carbon fiber road bike in a slam position (about 73 degree effective seat angle) to TTing on a 2nd hand P2K at an effective seat angle of about 77 degrees. Went from a 4 cm drop from seat to aero bars to a 12 cm drop. Increased my average speed in TTs by just over 1 mph, with a similar volume of training and same wheels. @ age 51, my potential isn't exactly staying the same year to year. I attribute the improvement primarily to positioning, not the aero tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An alarm clock without a snooze button. best training tool there is.

J
Quote Reply
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [YoEddie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keywins rock da planet, baby! I have 2pr of the older style SL's, and will likely pick up a set of CRM's when I get my new Yaqui in the Spring.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers and bike handling (TacX brand. Dependable and cheap but not really germane)

I had bought a new road bike in the late fall and then spent the winter on the rollers. At times terrifying and frustrating but by the time spring came around my balance had improved dramatically.

I was invited out on my first group ride and was quite worried. However, thanks to the roller work, no problems. The rollers had forced me to become aware of the effects of subtle adjustments in body position. Close proximity to the other bikes was a piece of cake.
Quote Reply
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine riding at Ullrich speeds in that crosswind on the '04 tour when Jan needed to make up 1 minute. That thing blows me around indoors.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Improvements due to equipment testimonials [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Keywins rock da planet, baby! I have 2pr of the older style SL's, and will likely pick up a set of CRM's when I get my new Yaqui in the Spring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next