Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition
Quote | Reply
I am wanting to loose weight, but I am starting to get run down from my training increase. I am not using my endurox or other supplements due to their high calories. When should I start to use them again. Magic numbers hours of training in a wek?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition [campguy71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be really careful on reducing your calories, try taking out a 100 calories a week to get a balance without making yourself run down and sick. I generally determine what I use based on the length of a workout. If I am going more than 90 minutes I need something but below that I just use water, but this will only work if you have been eating well and you are fueled well going in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of focusing on cutting calories across the board, you may want to focus on changing some of the foods you eat or at least working on taking in the calories when you really need them. Changing to more whole/complex carbs like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole grain breads will generally help out as the caloric content is similar, but they take a little more to digest and are generally better for you. Even though I'm very lean, I've found that focusing on eating more 'whole' foods changed my body composition a little bit and my training and racing have both improved. Depending on the timing of workouts and meals, replace some carbs with a lot of fruits and vegetables can do a lot for changing your body composition. Not a low-carb diet, but just modifying when you eat the carbs that you do eat.

It's all specific to you, but I find that during workouts that are 90-120 minutes or longer you'll need some carbs. After workout during the so called 30-60 minute window, be sure to get some high glycemic carbs (with protein if possible) to replenish your glycogen stores. So, use your endurox/accelerade/powerbar drink when you're training and even after you're training to help with recovery. Make sure you eat before you workout as well if that works for you. If you've recovered properly after workouts, instead of sitting down at a plate full of pasta with a few veggies and a little bit of protein...cut down on the amount of pasta/carb and add in a lot more veggies and a little more protein. THat way you still get full and probably have a slightly lower caloric intake right before you go to bed.

I'm not a nutritionist, so take that advice with a grain of salt. But, during training losing weight can be tricky when trying to balance proper recovery and nutrition. I'm sure that more qualified folks will offer up an opinion as well.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
up your real food calories a bit. unless you're going for 2 hours on a swim/bike/or run workout, skip the endurox, etc.

and, if you're eating sugary foods, cut that out and replace it with whole foods.

personally, I drink a glutamine drink for a 2 hour workout, and make my own electrolight drink, but won't take that unless I'm going over 2. doing this has helped up my energy and drop bodyfat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Campguy-
The reason that you are getting run down is not enough fuel..you're probably not replenishing you Glycogen stores in time..and you are bonking at the end of your sessions ..or, during.
Eat whole foods..get lots of rest..hydrate,eat a ton of salad at dinner,green de-caf tea, fruits, Glutamine tablets at dinner and in the AM.and stay off the Endurox until you are ready to do your BT sessions, intervals and speed work...
Besides, you should be at base-building LSD pace this time of the year anyways..if you are going VO2max or slightly hard effort durings these runs..you've switch from fat burning to carb burning and your fuel runs out fast.
You need to eat more to loose weight..but, eat properly!
Try this experiment.
Pick a day to do your long run..say 13 miles...on Sunday.
Spend the day before eating poor fuel foods such as chips,soda fast food..no whole wheat anything..go to bed later than 10:30.
More than likely you'll struggle after 6 miles.
Then after recovering from Sunday...pick Thurs as your next 13 miler.
Eat Oatmeal for breakfast,tea,water, fruits..Chicken w/ brown rice for lunch..Salmon and whole wheat pasta,and a huge green salad for dinner..get to bed by 9:30..then run...I can only imagine the results.
Proper nutrition is EVERYTHING!!!
Think of your body like its a BMW M3, or Porsche Turbo motor..it needs hi-octane 93..not that cheap 87 octane for Hyundai's and Hybrids.
As an aside..I'm 42 .
5-10" 167 lbs
I Run 80+ miles /week(Aet)
Swim 5-7 miles/wk
Bike(indoor.winter in the East)10-12 hrs /wk
Bench Press max 250lbs
7% body fat
1/2 IM PR 5:33 last season..on track for a 12:20ish IM at LP this year..I hope!
I've kept this level up thru proper Nutrition...I'm fanatical about it.

Remember..Long Slow Distance running will burn FAT !!! keep you lean..and allows for the best aerobic base for effective speed work- outs in April.
8-9 weeks of base building is what I go by.
Cheers and Good Luck!

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply