Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What I mean i by the smaller front wheel helping with fit issues is this: when someone CAN't get lower, they will automatically be lower by the size difference of the smaller front wheel. That's what I am trying to get at"

A funny bike does not actually cause the rider to have a lower position, it changes the angle of the rider's back in relation to the ground. Visualize the rider's position relative to the BB, and rotate it around the BB as the front wheel size changes - smaller wheel= rider rotated forward. If, that is, you simply replace the front wheel on a dual 700 c bike with a smaller one (Funny bikes don't usually do this, by the way... they tend to be road geometry with a small front wheel - hence all the ridiculous stem/bar setups you would see on them.)

2 bike frames with a given stack and reach, will have exactly the same geometry, in terms of rider position, regardless of wheel size.

Remember the cervelo "how steep geometry works" diagram? It's exactly the same freakin' thing. Stack and reach are stack and reach, regardless of how you get there. Small front wheel/long headtube is exactly the same thing position wise as big front wheel/short headtube, if stack is the same.

Translation: Bunnyman, you need to brush up on your geometry.

THE reason for funny bikes: Team pursuit. Smaller front wheel allows the riders to ride closer together.

Even before the UCI made funny bikes illegal, they had fallen almost completely out of favor with riders. It's difficult to make them handle well - most of them ride like crap; and they're pointless. You can get the exact same rider position on a bike with 2 same size wheels - lower the TT, and rotate the ST forward, and You're there. Use dual 650c if you want - that's perfectly legal.

Jan Ullrich was probably the last notable rider to use a funny bike in road TT competition, and it was a roadified version of the German national team pursuit bike, which he had been using for years. And when he switched to a dual 700c bike, his position didn't budge.

If anybody wants a really nice, completely stupid funny bike frame, I have a beautiful, custom made, 56c paperweight sitting in my storage unit - but nobody is crazy enough to buy it from me, because it's a funny bike - and they don't make any sense.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indurian did have a funny bike, and he was probably marginally more aero on it. He also had many different bikes. He also rode one for his Hour Record attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

That's the Raleigh Chopper! I had one of those. It had a zany shifter on the top tube. It was my first "real" bike after I had out grown the bike with solid, hard plastic tires. My folks bought it used from a kid down the street. It was a tad too big for a 1st garder. Needless to say, I fell down A LOT! It was, like solid steel too. Lord! It was all up from there: Schwinn Sting Ray, Deluxe--Puke Green, silver banana seat; Schwinn 36X36 Motocross Bike; Marin Bear Valley Mountain Bike; Specialized Allez; Quintana Roo Santo.

Steel to Ti in 30 years! That's innovation.

Best,

Robert

"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet."--Emily Dickinson
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [Dolomite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to help.

I had a Schwinn Pea Picker myself (green Krate, 5-speed). I could ride wheelies all down the block!!! First time I broke my arm was on that bike ... great for cruisin', not so good for jumpin' (too tail heavy)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have one I could part with.
Hmmmm... with a new Yaqui on the way I'd be hard pressed to justify another TT/Tri bike. Did you get my email about the GT trackie? Is it mine? Or did I miss my window? (say it ain't so!)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how his performances stack up. Joe has just violated Rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how his performances stack up. Joe has just violated Rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Joe raced the Trek TT since April last year. He did 5 Ironman races, plus some shorter course stuff. and the only Age group loss was a second at IM FL and that was a 9:12. He was 1st [/url][/url] [/url]45-49, 62nd [/url][/url][/url][/url] [/url] overall in Hawaii, his highest placing to date there. I don't think he's broke yet. :-)

I told him he should post on this thread, but he said he had to go run or work or swim or something. He does say the Elite Funny bike is fast too. We know of a few other triathletes who ride them.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember some of the guys in my bike club got funny bikes made by KHS for time trials. Another had a custom made funny bike made by a local frame builder for IM Hawaii. In the early 80's, the base bar was in a position that corresponded to the drop position of road bars, which required a much lower position than currently in vogue, where the base bar position corresponds to the hoods position, about 4.5" lower (this was before Scott DH bars). As previously mentioned, in the team pursuit you could get closer to the rider in front with the smaller front wheel.

The guys with the KHS bikes would ride with the the forks reversed for more trail, for more stability. Who needs twitchy handling in a time trial?

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Why funnybikes work and why they SHOULDN'T be banned [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input on Joe. He's amazing. I'm just glad I'm too old to have to race him...

But then I get Dean Harper in my AG for two years out of every five!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply

Prev Next