Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pilates or yogs for the triathlete
Quote | Reply
Which one would you do? I guess it depends on the instructor and the type you are doing but I am curious as to what you guys do.
Quote Reply
Re: pilates or yogs for the triathlete [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
        I don't know why yoga works, but yoga works. I wish I had time for it but with everything else there is just no way. I went a few times with my daughter down it Florida. I'll never forget watching this girl named Mona bend over backwards to place her hands on the floor on one fluid motion. Yeah, I really liked yoga.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom line is that both will help with core strength and balance.

For the time challenged triathlete, my guess is that Pilates may be the better choice. The basic Pilates moves can be worked into your pre/post work out routine fairly easily and once you get the hang of them are easy to do. Yoga on the other hand, from what I have seen is best when you go to a class and do the full routine. Of course, this takes up more time each week. My choice would be for Pilates.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: pilates or yogA for the triathlete [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do sort of a "Punk Yoga" routine every morning.

Punk Yoga??? - I combine classic yoga asanas with some old school stretches from my soccer and surfing days. All while listening to Fu Manchu, Nebula, The Mermen or The Dirt Surfers on my mp3 player, and watching the Weather Channel or "Girls Gone Wild" commerxls. I have no training; I'm sure the form is not 100% spot on; some days I rush through it; I just kind of make it up as I go along ... like punk rock.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Jan 19, 05 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest yoga over pilates.

Yoga with it's combination of stretching & strengthening exercises performed often on the feet, is a better alternative than the exercises performed mainly on the bum or back in pilates. Triathletes, and most athletes, need strength all the way down to their feet, and hips, knees, ankles are included in the necessary "core" structure, which traditional pilates does not address.

There is an article on here that explains it as well:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...chcorn/strength.html

good luck!

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer Yoga but I had to give it up because it took too long. The teacher at my local YMCA would spend about 1/2 hour on breathing techniques and another 15-20 minutes laying flat on our backs resting. This was followed by some kind of Hindu prayer, a candle lighting, a bell ringing ceremony and finally some stretching. This 1 1/2 hour "experience" could/should be condensed into 25 minutes of Yoga poses. I always felt better when it was over but now I just stretch while I watch Seinfeld reruns...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like yoga. I like it a lot. A good teacher is very important though, as I've been to a few classes with a not so good one and have always left fairly unimpressed.

I haven't done yoga in a while, but it's on my "I gotta get back to..." list. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try both and decide. I do Pilates 2x a week with an instructor who is Satan's sister. It is brutal! She readily admits that this isn't conventional pilates, but it is great. I did yoga once and it was WAY too slow and boring. It really depends on the instructor.
Quote Reply