Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement goggle straps...
Quote | Reply
So the strap on my trusty Swedes is losing the battle with chlorine, and will soon be in dire need of replacement. I've broken and had to re-tie the strap at least once during each of the past few swim workouts, and don't know how much longer it can hold out.

I popped into Swimco the other day and they wanted something like $5 + tax for a new strap. wtf? For a dollar more I can get a whole new pair! But the cups are fine. All I need is a new strap. Something that I can thread through that tiny little hole, but that will hopefully stand up to a fair bit of use.

I know we have some ex fish here... What do you all use? Is there anywhere I can buy a spool of strap elastic?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement goggle straps... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about a fabric store? some bungee like cord? should be cheap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get swedes online for $2 or $3 a pair. I buy 4 or 5 pairs to offset the cost of shipping and toss them whenever I need to.

What about medical tubing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They now sell these bungee cord things that have those shoelace lock spring jobs. These straps will last forever. I have two pairs (one on the clear goggles, one on the tinted ones). In addition, since it is a single continuous loop (when locked, of course), you have two straps going around your head, allowing a more custom fit.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the same thing as you are. I have a dozen or so pairs of old swedes where the straps disintegrated, but the eye cups are fine. It's hard to justify throwing them away, but they do only cost a couple bucks. I emailed 4 Seasons Swimwear (where I get mine) and they suggested looking at a fabric store also. I have yet to find the appropriate material. Let me know if you find some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Keifer.com. Great swim store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the normal swedish goggles, I just buy a whole new pair rather than trying to find a strap. Just works out the less fussy way, it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fabric store is the answer. Get the thin white elasticcord material - ridiculously cheap by the foot. Pull the ends through lace lock and tie ends in a knot to keep it all together when you take them off.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beauty - thanks all! I was thinking along those lines, but have no idea where to find one. Guess I'll have to dig out the (analog!) Yellow Pages...

For some reason I've never encountered this before, but I think it's because I used to lose my Swedes before the straps could break down. And this is my reward for such "progress"... ;)

Edit: The lace lock idea is gold, too!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Jan 19, 05 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an old inner tube and scissor-cut a strap in the same width as the original one. This works now for a year and no wear to see on it. Seemed the least expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement goggle straps... [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I used an old inner tube and scissor-cut a strap in the same width as the original one. This works now for a year and no wear to see on it. Seemed the least expensive.[/reply]

Now THERE's a guy who embodies the spirit of TSR! Yeah baby! I love it! Sweet sweet ghetto goodness...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats what i've done.. cost me $5 for enough bungee cord and lockers for two goggles... and now i have goggles that will last atleast another couple 100 km's swimming!
david
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After building up a collection of a dozen Swedish goggles with broken straps over the course of a decade of swimming, I finally bit the bullet and replaced all of the straps with replacements I bought at Kiefer ($0.75 each):

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=690090&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=036DE5D0EAE43496E83C6E8B943221A1

I just recently started using the bungee cord things you can put on Swedes - I love them. Easier to adjust the
tension than tying knots and they look kinda cool, too.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a silicone strap (from Kiefer or any other shop). Silicone does not lose its elasticity over time, is impervious to chlorine, and does not stretch. The price (Kiefer lists them for $2.50) may seem high compared to the price of the goggles, but that strap will last you a lifetime. I've had my oldest swedes for 11 years with the same silicone strap and never had any issues: install once and forget about it for the rest of your life.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the cut up tube deal this evening in about 5 min and it ROCKS! One 700c tube is big enough to make I'd guess 10 straps. Added a lace lock and I've got a bitchin' strap that ought to last me a good long while.

Thanks all. :)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply